Bilstein Rear Shocks - Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

Just looking for an opinion here. My lifted Jeep still rides pretty dang tough. Been looking to clean up the ride a little bit. Rear upper control arm is going in very soon and I've been thinking about the rear shocks...

I noticed when putting the Bilsteins in that they rebound VERY fast (made them very difficult to put in!!). While riding my Jeep, I notice that it rides MUCH better with weight in the back. Does this suggest that the shocks are rebounding way too fast and giving a rough ride when NOT weighed down?

I also noticed while driving behind my Jeep (sometimes my friends and I switch cars...my friend has a nice Mazda RX-8 that I get to drive :gr_grin:) that the suspension rebounds so fast that it looks like my rear axle moves WAY too fast. Basically, when the rear axle hits a bump, it goes into that bump extremely fast and bounces out just as quick.

Are these shocks causing my Jeep to have a rough ride? Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been considering a few things to get the ride to be a bit better:

1) Buy OME N132L shocks.
2) Get the Monroe load adjusting shocks (will these rebound even faster??)
3) Just use the OME 60069 standard shocks for a little while. They might be OE length but I figure I won't top them out ALL the time.

Need suggestions before I break my back. Anyone else have this experience with the Bilsteins?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All!

Just looking for an opinion here. My lifted Jeep still rides pretty dang tough. Been looking to clean up the ride a little bit. Rear upper control arm is going in very soon and I've been thinking about the rear shocks...

I noticed when putting the Bilsteins in that they rebound VERY fast (made them very difficult to put in!!). While riding my Jeep, I notice that it rides MUCH better with weight in the back. Does this suggest that the shocks are rebounding way too fast and giving a rough ride when NOT weighed down?

I also noticed while driving behind my Jeep (sometimes my friends and I switch cars...my friend has a nice Mazda RX-8 that I get to drive :gr_grin:) that the suspension rebounds so fast that it looks like my rear axle moves WAY too fast. Basically, when the rear axle hits a bump, it goes into that bump extremely fast and bounces out just as quick.

Are these shocks causing my Jeep to have a rough ride? Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been considering a few things to get the ride to be a bit better:

1) Buy OME N132L shocks.
3) Just use the OME 60069 standard shocks for a little while. They might be OE length but I figure I won't top them out ALL the time.

Need suggestions before I break my back. Anyone else have this experience with the Bilsteins?

1) sounds like no longer available, although still in the ARB catalog they are telling suppliers they will not be making them any longer
2) the Monroes are good if you tow a lot OR have aftermarket bumpers etc
3 ) no you would ruin a new set of shocks in no time by topping them out

The best but problem with them is they are for only a 2.5 ich lift is the adjustable ones I am running on the rear SO GOOD

have to remember that the Bilstiens we use are either for a Dodge Dakota pickup or some are for a JEEP YJ so not valved just perfect for the KJ
The old RSX line from Rancho were about perfect but of course they are long gone
never heard of anyone else having issues with the ride, of course many think " well its a Jeep so it has to ride rough " Of course some of us know better LOL

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine rides amazing find a friend or someone with stock suspension and ride it around. Mine had nearly 170k miles the front shocks didnt rebound when i completly compressed them and the rears did but very slow and jerky. My point is you are being very critical. Compared to an old or even new from what tom has said stock suspension these ride amazing. I am currently using the Bilstein 24-185660.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Trying to think back through the lifts we have done here and I'd say at least 12-15 had the Bilstein / OME mix and no problems with ride that you are describing, how many miles on them and which part numbers did you use?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed you are wanting to install the bushing kit as well because you currently have washers
That may be part of the reason you're experiencing the quick rebound feel
I have the washers also, as you know, and my ride feels more bouncy but also feels like it has nearly the same bump absorption as stock
I think it may be because there's some play when hitting bumps and rough terrain so it makes it feel more rough than it would feel with the correct bushings in there

Just a thought :shrug:
Not really sure, but that's what I think it may be since I'm in the same boat
I would order the bushing kit before you start looking at different shocks unless they are old and worn out

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to think back through the lifts we have done here and I'd say at least 12-15 had the Bilstein / OME mix and no problems with ride that you are describing, how many miles on them and which part numbers did you use?

At this point they have about 20k on them (bought them used from Ricky P with ~7k on them). Fairly certain they are the 4" Bilsteins from JBA.

It's just very interesting. When I compress the 60069 shocks that I have, they slowly come up. When I compress the Bilsteins, they practically FLY up compared to the OME.

The front of the Jeep rides quite a bit better than the back. That being said, the back isn't bouncy at all like I have worn or blown shocks.

I thought about the bushing kit allowing it to soften up a bit but I doubt that would be the case. I was going to order the bushing kit to get rid of noises that I have as well :)

I would consider the JBA shocks...but the fact that they are 2" shocks and I'm lifted about 3-3.5 in the rear gets me a bit nervous. If I remember correctly I have a bit of a lean, 22.5" passenger and 22.25" driver.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's ****** that the 132Ls are getting discontinued....I must have gotten one of the last sets.

I love the way they ride. They feel kind of the air suspension in the LR3, firm but yet comfortable...not hard rebounding at all.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
At this point they have about 20k on them (bought them used from Ricky P with ~7k on them). Fairly certain they are the 4" Bilsteins from JBA.

It's just very interesting. When I compress the 60069 shocks that I have, they slowly come up. When I compress the Bilsteins, they practically FLY up compared to the OME.

The front of the Jeep rides quite a bit better than the back. That being said, the back isn't bouncy at all like I have worn or blown shocks.

I thought about the bushing kit allowing it to soften up a bit but I doubt that would be the case. I was going to order the bushing kit to get rid of noises that I have as well :)

I would consider the JBA shocks...but the fact that they are 2" shocks and I'm lifted about 3-3.5 in the rear gets me a bit nervous. If I remember correctly I have a bit of a lean, 22.5" passenger and 22.25" driver.

for the 2.5 inch lift not 2 inch
but easy fix if you have access to a welder and want them to work on a 4 inch

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That's ****** that the 132Ls are getting discontinued....I must have gotten one of the last sets.

I love the way they ride. They feel kind of the air suspension in the LR3, firm but yet comfortable...not hard rebounding at all.

Not 100% sure yet but thats what is being passed around to suppliers now regarding the 132Ls

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wonder what they'll do about warranties on them? Is there going to be an alternate?

I do prefer the OME ride over the Bilstein ride (the yellow ones).

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will the OME work for 3-3.5"? The pics in this thread seem to show them as 2.5" it seems:

LOST JEEPS • View topic - OME N132L install

And what happened to the extended Ironman shocks?

I'm sure they will but someone else can chime in on the OME
The Ironman you can't get right now because people were having a lot of issues with them
Lots of defective shocks were being sold
I personally was going to go full Ironman but they stopped being available when I bought my lift

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

1) Buy OME N132L shocks.

Your rear shocks are working the way they are intended to....................

Keeping the rear tires in full contact with the surface your driving on.When you hit a hole you do not want the tire in the air,you want it pushed down as fast as possible.

Tire in the air = zero traction.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your rear shocks are working the way they are intended to....................

Keeping the rear tires in full contact with the surface your driving on.When you hit a hole you do not want the tire in the air,you want it pushed down as fast as possible.

Tire in the air = zero traction.

I understand that but you and I both know that adjustments can and should be made on rebound for comfort versus fast performance. This is a street Jeep most of the time and I don't need it to ride that rough. I'm not throwing it through corners and it's not a pre-runner. For my driving style, shocks that are designed for more comfort are better for me.

Perhaps I'll buy the OME N132Ls for the street and install the Bilsteins back before I take her on an off road trip.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand that but you and I both know that adjustments can and should be made on rebound for comfort versus fast performance. This is a street Jeep most of the time and I don't need it to ride that rough. I'm not throwing it through corners and it's not a pre-runner. For my driving style, shocks that are designed for more comfort are better for me.

Perhaps I'll buy the OME N132Ls for the street and install the Bilsteins back before I take her on an off road trip.

IF..........you can find the 132Ls

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That's where I get my OME stuff.

But from what I was told they have stopped shipments to the USA of the 132Ls
So unless they have some in stock or the warehouse they use has some left then you maybe in luck.
All dealers of OME lifts etc in the US get there springs/ shocks from just a couple of warehouses .