BCM time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68NOVASS

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Limited. The locks have started to be intermittent. The driver door is working consistently but the others are not. This is with either the fob or door switch. They attempt to move but either won't unlock or won't lock. They will still move manually. I have searched the forum and it sounds like the body control module is my problem. I will start looking for a replacement but would like any other info the experience on forum may have to offer. Much appreciated. :blah:

68NOVASS

Reaction score
I am going to go through the fuses in the block as well as under the hood. I believe I read that the under hood breaker #9 50A is related. Fuses usually are good or not. If this issue was a bad or blown fuse wouldn't they quit working completely?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may also have a loose fuse as well. I have had a problem with a loose fuse for a while and it was causing problems with the radio.

68NOVASS

Reaction score
I don't find any fuses or breakers that are bad. All wiring around fuse box looks good. Body control module is $427 or I can send it off to have it rebuild for $220. Any opinions on the rebuild option?

68NOVASS

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I don't know what else it could be and I will take the risk vs. taking it somewhere to be looked at. I have always had an aversion to paying someone to fix something I "think" I can do, until I really mess it up and then have no choice. This is the high school daughter's jeep with 205K on it. She is using key vs. fob as we see if things get worse or not. I have read on here that if it is the BCM it could affect lights, dash lights etc. Good news, for me, is that bus comes right by the house:gr_grin:

Can you tell me if the BCM has to be programmed for the VIN of the vehicle or are they universal?

I also saw this place for rebuild: https://moduleexperts.com/
They quoted me $199 to rebuild my current module.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I don't know what else it could be and I will take the risk vs. taking it somewhere to be looked at. I have always had an aversion to paying someone to fix something I "think" I can do, until I really mess it up and then have no choice. This is the high school daughter's jeep with 205K on it. She is using key vs. fob as we see if things get worse or not. I have read on here that if it is the BCM it could affect lights, dash lights etc. Good news, for me, is that bus comes right by the house:gr_grin:

Can you tell me if the BCM has to be programmed for the VIN of the vehicle or are they universal?

I also saw this place for rebuild: https://moduleexperts.com/
They quoted me $199 to rebuild my current module.

With the above company I think you send VIN, mileage etc to them at time of order and they program it, at least thats my understanding from them.

Tinkrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem on an old car i have. I removed the door panels and sprayed the door lock actuators liberaly with WD40 while operating them witth the switch. They freed up and ten years later are still working like new. Worth trying, before investing in a much more expensive BCM.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree here with Tinkrr above in that the "locks are trying to move" normally shows that the locks are getting power but have some mechanical friction.

It could be an electrical problem though. The fuse box under the hood..Power Distribution Module...basically has little to do with the BCM other than supplying it with bulk power.

The fuse panel inside the cabin is what is involved but there is only one fuse used for the all the locks.

However if you flip this fuse panel over then on the reverse side you will find the BCM/Junction Block assembly. You can re-plug all wires on this assembly but note that there are several small and large relays on this Junction Block.

The one relay...Driver Door Unlock relay supplies power to the Driver Door only and is obviously in good shape. There are two other relays though that supply power to all the other locks namely the Passenger Door Unlock Relay and the Door Lock Relay....one of these relays may have dirty contacts.

So swap over these two relays with identical relays ie. Low beam Relay and Horn Relay and see if that changes matters.

Here is the Rear side layout of the Junction Block:

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 13