Bad creaking noise coming from rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All-

I live in a house where the garage is at a 90 degree angle from the driveway with a 3-4 foot grade when backing into the garage. My suspension tends to flex when going up/down the driveway and in/out of the garage, but have never noticed any abnormal noises coming from the suspension, until now.

Not it sounds like there is a pretty bad "creaking" noise coming from the rear end. I had my wife listen from the outside and she seemed to think it was coming from the passenger side. She likened it to the sound of a coil spring flexing, and that is kind of what it sounds like but more pronounced. The noise seems to happen anytime the KJ goes over a bump enough to shift the whole vehicle on the suspension, even on the road, so it's not when it's at any extreme angles or flexing.

Anyone have any idea what this could be or what could be causing this? I know Jeeps tend to make noise and have little odds and ends, but this is definitely a new noise and I don't want to overlook anything, especially since my Chrysler extended service contract is up in about 3 weeks! Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks fellas!

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 05 KJ makes the same noise you describe. I just replaced the suspension with full OME and the noise is still present. No idea what it is, I thought it would go away when I replaced the suspension.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the LCA's replaced under the recall back in July, think it could have precipitated this noise? I am willing to bet tri-link based on some reading I've done. Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order for me.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Dealer ?
Check it out first yourself
ALSO
make sure they tightened the LCAs when on the ground. Found a few that were replaced and either were not tightened properly or tightened when it was still on the hoist

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the LCA's replaced under recall and a few weeks later the rear started to creak.

One of these days i'll spray some lube and see if that helps.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Tommudd - looking at it myself is a good suggestion, and one that I'd normally take you up on, but I'm not exactly sure what to look for. My experience with suspension components is fairly limited. I have a jack, stands, and a creeper...can you give me any insight as to what to look for in terms of visible damage or warping?

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 06 creaks also after replacement of both lca's, uca, and shocks. i am going to try tightening the lca's loaded and to spec when i get a chance. i am interested to hear your solution! if i find the solution i will post. mike

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 06 creaks also after replacement of both lca's, uca, and shocks. i am going to try tightening the lca's loaded and to spec when i get a chance. i am interested to hear your solution! if i find the solution i will post. mike

Glad to see i'm not only one. :icon_lol:

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think i have located the issue - coming from the bushings within the rear LCA's where they attach to the axel - i also had these replaced under the recall.. sprayed some silicone lube all over these bushings and the noise stopped for a week.. now it's back. called the dealer and they said they'd look at it but if it wasn't their fault it would be $118/hr labor :( got to be kidding me

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will look into my new rear lca bushings! it has gotten below 35 degrees here and the noise has mostly dissapeared.

maddog do you have any new developments on solving this problem?

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removed my rear sway bar the other day. Problem solved. No creaking sounds whatsoever.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have not tried yet do to unexpectedly 2 family members in hospital. when i am not at work i am shuttling between hospitals. but once things calm down i will get to it. mike

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Mike. Family always comes first. Hope everything turns out okay for you and yours.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, realized I hadn't given an update in a while, things have been really hectic here.

I took it to the dealer since I was two weeks away from the end of my extended warranty, he said they thought it was a bolt securing my running board that the previous dealer had left improperly tightened from the LCA recall. They fixed it at no charge. I believed him until a few days later when the creaking returned, but it isn't as bad this time. Methinks I will need to do some playing with my impact wrench one of these upcoming weekends and see if anything is looser than it should be...or maybe some WD-40 in some places...

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or just remove the rear sway bar and save yourself some time with the impact.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i finally found time to track the creaking down and Elmer is right it was in the sway bar!

I replicated the noise by supporting the unibody (off the ground) and putting a jack under the drivers side rear lower shock mount. I then jacked the drivers side of the rear end up and down and got the creaking to appear. I tracked it by feel (while jacking up and down)to the sway bar and lower control arm.

I then loosened the rear sway bar bolts and jacked up and down. Guess what know more noise!!!! But before i loosened them, I used a torque wrench to measure the torque upon loosening. It measured 110-120 foot pounds! My manual calls for 73 foot pound. I retightened all 4 sway bar bolts to 60 foot pound and the noise is still gone. I have put 50 miles on it since and it is quiet.

My guess is somehow the tighter they are the more tension (stiffness) it puts on the sway bar?

It looks like when my rear lower lca's were replaced by the recall (at the dealer) the tech just buzzed them down without torqueing them properly. Victim of the flat rate tech?

I choose to try and leave the sway bar on since my wife an children use the vehicle as a daily. I will keep everybody posted, but i believe it is solved. And thanks goes to Elmer! mike

You must be registered for see images attach