Backup Camera Install - Looking for Reverse Wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnook1

Reaction score
Hi All! Long time reader but first time poster...

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited that I've installed this Boss aftermarket HU in: http://www.amazon.com/BV8965B-Dash-Receiver-Bluetooth-Front/dp/B001QXDSTA

Using this wiring harness: http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-CR02B-Connector-Chrysler-Vehicles/dp/B0007KPRK6/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_c

The HU has an orange wire that I believe I need to wire to the reverse lights on the Jeep, so the HU knows when to pull the backup camera video input.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or know where this reverse light is located in the 2005 Liberty? This is my first time installing a HU, let alone a backup camera. Thanks very much!!

Tarikleesimsek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sorry I have no idea but I am thinking about getting the same thing installed. How does this boss aftermarket hu looks in person? Are you satisfied with it? I am in between two brands and don't know which one to get:)

jnook1

Reaction score

Tarikleesimsek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks ok, the dash kit I used didnt work perfectly with that model so I had to tweak it a bit and the metal shows a little on the sides. But overall I am happy. This is the dash kit I used: http://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-6505-Dodge-98-UP-Pocket/dp/B0007WTFB6/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b

and Antenna Adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Metra-40-CR10-Chrysler-Antenna-Adapter/dp/B0002BEQNE/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b

Ohh wow. So i guess no matter what we get we d always need a dash kit? Well I know nothing :) I didn't even know that we have to get antenna adapter :) if I got one before I see your thread I would try to plug it in where I took the stock radio out and try to figure out what's going on :)

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite simple, unscrew one of the taillights and follow the wire that hooks to the reverse lightbulb.:smokin:

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending whether you need to connect at the rear of the vehicle or the front, from the reverse light bulb wire at the rear or you could consider connecting in the fuse box at the front? Just find the reverse lights fuse and connect it at the fused side wire. i.e. The one that is NOT live when the fuse is OUT. Needs to be this way so the fuse will do it's job if anything goes wrong. Steve :smokin:

jnook1

Reaction score
Thanks Banditsteve that is a big help! I believe I have to wire the HU into the reverse wire so it knows when to pull the video from the camera... I do plan to wire the actual camera to the reverse light so it only powers on when in reverse.

So the fuse panel is on the far left panel by the door... but according to the manual

"Cavity #7 10 Amp Red Left Park Light/Left Tail
Lamp/License Plate Lamp"

How do I know which to wire this to so it will only go on when the car is put in reverse?

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Banditsteve that is a big help! I believe I have to wire the HU into the reverse wire so it knows when to pull the video from the camera... I do plan to wire the actual camera to the reverse light so it only powers on when in reverse.

So the fuse panel is on the far left panel by the door... but according to the manual

"Cavity #7 10 Amp Red Left Park Light/Left Tail
Lamp/License Plate Lamp"

How do I know which to wire this to so it will only go on when the car is put in reverse?

I don't understand why you are asking about fuse number 7 specifically? But you need to wire your camera hook up wire (trigger wire) into the reverse light fuse, I think you call it the "back up lamp" fuse? That way, when you put the Jeep in reverse. it will send power to the camera, and cut the power when you take it out of reverse. Like I said previously, make sure you connect it to the wire AFTER the fuse and not the wire going to the fuse. To see which way the power is going, pull the fuse and check the power to each side of the fuse holder, one is live (IN) and one will be dead (OUT) which will become live when the fuse is replaced. Steve :smokin:

jnook1

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, that is the issue I do not see a back up lamp in the manual. Do you or does anyone know which fuse this is?

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending whether you need to connect at the rear of the vehicle or the front, from the reverse light bulb wire at the rear or you could consider connecting in the fuse box at the front? Just find the reverse lights fuse and connect it at the fused side wire. i.e. The one that is NOT live when the fuse is OUT. Needs to be this way so the fuse will do it's job if anything goes wrong. Steve :smokin:

That will be why you are at the side light fuse. Trans-Atlantic communication breakdown! Hehe. The wire on the reverse (back up) lights fuse after the fuse and not before the fuse. Hopefully that makes sense now. :smokin:

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, that is the issue I do not see a back up lamp in the manual. Do you or does anyone know which fuse this is?

Nowhere near my manual at the moment but someone will chip in and tell you. It will have a back up lamp fuse somewhere. Seek and thou shalt find! As somebody famous once said! :smokin:

jnook1

Reaction score
Lol! Thank you for the help...

Well fuse #39 10 Amp Red Hazard Flasher (Turn
Signals)/Backup Lamp
Switch (Manual Transmission
Only)/Transmission Range
Switch (Automatic Transmission
Only)

This is my confusion. I have automatic transmission not manual... Is #39 still correct?

Chris_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol! Thank you for the help...

Well fuse #39 10 Amp Red Hazard Flasher (Turn
Signals)/Backup Lamp
Switch (Manual Transmission
Only)/Transmission Range
Switch (Automatic Transmission
Only)

This is my confusion. I have automatic transmission not manual... Is #39 still correct?

id be willing to bet thats the correct fuse

wineprovider

Reaction score
Lift up the rear carpet on the right hand side. There is a channel with a rubber carrier. If you expose the wires the brown and green is the reverse lead.
Hope this helps.
Regards to all,
Martyn

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but it might help someone else. I found the backup lights wire near the fuse box. Lift the carpet under your left foot, where it would be if you were driving, there are a bunch of wires coming up through the floor (on my 07). It's the white and grey wire.

Bill chase

Reaction score
Is there a way to access the backup 12 volt trigger wire from the center console or in the dash? I cringe at the thought of tearing apart my interior again to run another wire to the back of the car. I've had my backup camera hooked up for a while now, my head unit allows me to just switch it on, but I'd like to hook up the trigger wire. I have a 2006 renegade

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just take one of your tail lights off (2 torx screws) and figure which wire that lights the back up lights. I don't remember which one and my KJ is at home but you can use a test light or search online for which wire it is. Tap into that wire.

Tinkrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a backup monitor in my 2005 KJ a few years ago.
For the trigger wire I used one located by the connector behind the drivers kick panel adjacent to and forward of the drivers door. The wire is wine coloured with a grey stripe. I found it in the wiring diagrams in section 8 of the shop manual and confirmed it with a potential tester. I used a spade lug wire tap and plugged my wiring into it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online