Awesome brake pad comparison chart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait.. so a NAPA comparison chart... putting their own brakes at the top... OE brake pads at the bottom.. ranking their competitors. Based on what criteria? Plus it says it's for internal use only, do not distribute, but is available at a public URL on the internet, dated 2 years ago?

I find the value in this chart, deceiving....

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, right, I've learned NAPA brakes are the best from this chart. But, seriously, if you take it with a grain of salt there is some useful information in there. From what I read basic napa brakes are raybestos service grade and napa premium are raybestos professional brakes. Ultra premium are made by Akebono so there is some truth in this chart. Adaptive One are supposedly made by Satisfied Brakes. But even better is to compare let's say carquest brakes vs advance auto brakes, should be more or less impartial there. You should still do reading before any purchase but might give you a good starting point.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait.. so a NAPA comparison chart... putting their own brakes at the top... OE brake pads at the bottom.. ranking their competitors. Based on what criteria? Plus it says it's for internal use only, do not distribute, but is available at a public URL on the internet, dated 2 years ago?

I find the value in this chart, deceiving....

Being a Napa chart they will put there stuff on top(if a advance chart they would put theirs on top) and then the corresponding competition brands to most relevant to least.OE is always on the bottom since it is what all aftermarket brakes are always compared to.

Oh and at the very bottom read #2,the "best" column is being compared to OE pads as "as close as your getting without buying OE pads".

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being a Napa chart they will put there stuff on top(if a advance chart they would put theirs on top) and then the corresponding competition brands to most relevant to least.OE is always on the bottom since it is what all aftermarket brakes are always compared to.

Oh and at the very bottom read #2,the "best" column is being compared to OE pads as "as close as your getting without buying OE pads".

Oh I agree, I think that goes without saying. It just calls into question the credibility.

I think for comparing who makes which pads, and how the good/better/best tiers compare to OE parts in terms of build and performance is valuable... but if they are trying to rank who has the best pads by parts store/brand, it's dubious at best.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I agree, I think that goes without saying. It just calls into question the credibility.

I think for comparing who makes which pads, and how the good/better/best tiers compare to OE parts in terms of build and performance is valuable... but if they are trying to rank who has the best pads by parts store/brand, it's dubious at best.

There not ranking them at all,they are listing everyone's best/better/value line pads.It's not a ranking system as to who's is the best.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There not ranking them at all,they are listing everyone's best/better/value line pads.It's not a ranking system as to who's is the best.

That would make more sense.. it read to me like a top down listing of the best aftermarket brake components down to the worst.

I guess I just misread it, or read too much into it.

I've used NAPA brake parts, they're quite good. I've got Advanced Auto WearEver silver stuff on my KJ now, and so far they're good to go. Got 50,000 miles out of the probably crappier Autozone parts I had on previously.

This time, I just have to remember not to flat tow a 7,000lb Tahoe 4x4 40 miles with a tow strap. Man that warped the rotors good.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would make more sense.. it read to me like a top down listing of the best aftermarket brake components down to the worst.

I guess I just misread it, or read too much into it.

I've used NAPA brake parts, they're quite good. I've got Advanced Auto WearEver silver stuff on my KJ now, and so far they're good to go. Got 50,000 miles out of the probably crappier Autozone parts I had on previously.

This time, I just have to remember not to flat tow a 7,000lb Tahoe 4x4 40 miles with a tow strap. Man that warped the rotors good.

How on earth did you stop that with only a tow strap attached? I'd imagine someone in the Tahoe had to brake...but that would mean your rotors got no more use than normal.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How on earth did you stop that with only a tow strap attached? I'd imagine someone in the Tahoe had to brake...but that would mean your rotors got no more use than normal.

To say he applied his brakes would be generous.. enough that he didnt hit me... but barely. My dad and I were experts at towing a car with another car where the disabled vehicle only had manual braking.. we knew exactly how much tension to put on the strap, when I should brake, when he should, hand signals and all...

My father-in-law, not so much. I don't think he's done this much. Probably just calls a flat-bed tow truck.

There was a lot of jerking and abruptness too... let's just say I tested how well the Jeep technician bolted my recall hitch onto the frame. :-D He did well.

Latest posts

Members online