anybody with speedometer problems on there liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billweaponsman

Reaction score
misses 2004 liberty has done this about 8-10 times now. when first starting out with it you can be running about 30-35 on a back road, speedo will gradually increase speed to about 65-70 mph and stay there till coming to a stop with a swift drop to zero. after that it will work fine for as long as you drive it. its happened to me and her so im guessing either a bad speed sensor on ****** or speedo itself has a problem in electric drive motor. anybody ever here of this problem?
still under warranty dealer has looked at once(no problem found).

youknowwhoibee

Reaction score
i am new to libertys but have you tried reseting the cluster to correct this issue? They did it at the dealer for me and my issue corrected right away. It was not as severe but definatly not accurate.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The speed sensor is on top of the rear diff. Ive heard of people having problems with them and the wiring. Seems like something rubs on the wires and shorts them out. O:)

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
The speed sensor is on top of the rear diff. Ive heard of people having problems with them and the wiring. Seems like something rubs on the wires and shorts them out. O:)

There have been several issues with the wiring for the speed sensor (as mentioned on top of the differential) rubbing against the drive shaft and shorting out.

Should be warranty repair....if not it should be a pretty easy repair for the DIY types.

chromed1

Reaction score
I had a speedo problem with my brand new 2006 KJ however it was also the tacho. It turned out to be the ABS pump. It would work alright after the car was restarted.