Any way to look up a case number from accident on Carfax?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pong

Reaction score
Hey guys...

I am looking to buy an 06 Liberty and checked it out on carfax... shows an accident in New Jersey early this year and gives a case number but nothing more. Is there anyway to look up the case number or am I out of luck?

PONG

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe the county police dept. where the accident happened???

pong

Reaction score
Yeah I thought about that but this is all it shows:
02/11/2009 NJ Accident Source ACCIDENT REPORTED (Case #:9007391)

pong

Reaction score
I'm guessing that case number could be from any city, county, or state department?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure what you can do now. Where did you get the report?? Was it AutoCheck or Carfax???

pong

Reaction score
It was Autocheck... you think Carfax would be any different?

pong

Reaction score
Crap.. I'll recheck and see if I missed anything. This is a bummer because I was planning on going to get this Jeep tomorrow. Kept asking for the carfax but guy said he would only provide it if I put a deposit down and would not hold me to anything if it was negative. This could be a deal breaker if I cannot find out how serious the accident was.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, I would NOT get that Jeep if you wouldnt show the carfax without a deposit. Personally I wouldnt buy a Jeep that had been in any kind of wreck.

pong

Reaction score
Yeah I am with you on that but if it was "minor" I would still consider it. Guess there is no way to find out apparently. Damn.. I was ready to pick it up tomorrow....

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah I am with you on that but if it was "minor" I would still consider it. Guess there is no way to find out apparently. Damn.. I was ready to pick it up tomorrow....

Carmax has free Autochecks....

But I know both of our Carmax's to find a 4x4 is tough....:(

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
If the damage is $500.00 or less, they may not list detail, but you see what happened. Accident, well, yeah you got to get the detail, but if saw FLOOD anywhere in a report, I would move on for sure. It just says Accident, tough call without getting the detail.

Just some info, if worried about frame/uni-whatever damage: For Jeep, they are calling it a UniFrame construction, minor detail. When the liberty was first made, it had the stiffest Jeep body to date. Exclusive to Jeep, the Liberty's uniframe construction incorporates all of the strength, and durability of a body-on-frame set up, into a unitized construction. Also, more than 70 percent of the liberty's under-carriage is high-strength steel to add rigidity to the entire structure, plus: sill-to-rail torque boxes, one-piece rear closure panel, and reinforced shock mounting points; so, this Jeep a tough cookie, and is designed for off highway durability. It can handle 8,900 ft.-lb./degree in torsion, and 36,600 lb./in. in bending; which is 43 percent torsion and 58 percent bending, an improvement, even over Grand Cherokee. This is all at RELEASE of the Liberty, don't think any real improvements were made after 2004. All in all, it IS a JEEP...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you're still worried, take it to a mechanic and have it inspected.....:)