Alternator Wiring Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roundsound

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm a long time fan of the forum and now have a problem I need some help with.

She's a 2006 Liberty CRD that's been down for a year. I was having electrical problems when I ran out of time. Now I'm under the hood again and noticed that the 2 wire connector to the alternator has a wire sheared off at the connector and I can't find the wire that was broken off. It looks like a green wire that's broken.

The good, intact wire, goes into the harness with the battery ground wire and a bunch of others. I have no idea where the missing wire is.

Can someone tell me where the wires are supposed to go so I can trace or replace it?

Many thanks!!:favorites13:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Download the 2006 KJ Service Manual here...includes the Wiring Diagrams in section 8W.

You will see that there should be a Black wire going to Ground and a Brown/Dark Green wire going through a few connectors to the BCM which adjusts the charging rate.

The wiring diagram has a section showing you where the various connectors are located so you can try find the missing wire there. Be aware that some owners prefer to fit an external voltage regulator to the alternator rather that have the BCM do the work so maybe a previous owner cut off that wire on purpose...check for any external voltage regulator!

Also if you are having electrical problems there is a known problem with LHD 2006 CRDs whereby the wiring harness in the engine bay goes behind the Fuel Filter Head Mounting Bracket where it can become shorted to chassis. So definitely remove this bracket and check the wiring harness in that area for damage.

Also check the thick wire going from the alternator to the positive connector at the battery has good continuity from the alternator to the battery. This thick lead is actually a "fusable" Link that will blow if there is major short in the system. If this Link is open circuit it will need replacing.

KJ Manuals:http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

Last edited: