Alternator Conversion help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adama

Reaction score
Dear all,

I would appreciate any expert advice for the following situation:
My vehicle, Jeep Liberty 07, required an alternator replacement.
This vehicle connects to the Alternator with a Single field dual wire.
One wire Brown/gr is the single field connector (two pins vertical) and the other is the Kelvin Sense (Blue). Both are connected to the PCM.

I received the new alternator, with wrong connector. The type was dual field , connector with two horizontal pins (F1 F2).

I have grounded one field and connected the other to the single field wire (Brown/green).

The Blue wire (sense) was not connected anywhere.

The Alternator functions and charges ~14.2v and no apparent errors appear in vehicle.

I am a bit worried, as the Blue sense wire has not been connected anywhere and it is connected to the PCM for voltage/amp regulation(?).

The only info I could find was here: https://www.remyautomotive.com/dam/jcr:a3bb430a-75da-45ac-9735-70d938cb91c6/7)%20Technical%20Service%20Bulletin%20-%20July%202016.pdf

Please advise:
A> should I worry that the blue wire is disconnected (probably should)
B> where should I connect the Sense (blue wire)
C> Is there a conversion kit/Harness that just may simplify?

Returning the alternator is a bit problematic as it was shipped to me from overseas and the return shipping might be costly.

Thank you for your help and advice!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot really help you as I do not have wiring diagrams for the 2007 KJs.

Why did you replace your alternator?

Only advice I can give is to plug your voltmeter into the front Power Outlet/Cigar lighter and monitor the voltage as you drive....should vary slightly but should not get too high.

I had a problem whereby while monitoring the voltage this way I could sometimes see the voltage rise up to 17 volts if I did some action such as switching the front wipers ON.

CEL would come on and the Jeep would grind to a halt....boiled the battery to pieces by the time I got home after a long trip in pouting rain!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep is picky about the correct ALT, not going to ruin my wiring or PCM by buying the wrong alt or incorrectly modifying it!
Why convert when you can just get the correct part in the first place?
Just go to Rock auto 2007-jeep liberty, The denso 145Amp was OEM # 210-0631 or many other correct ALTS are listed.
link: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2007,liberty,3.7l+v6,1433762,electrical,alternator+/+generator,2412

I'm thinking because the OP is in Israel and couldn't source it locally; Rockauto probably does not ship internationally either.. unsure on that point though.

There are a lot of Jeeps all over the world... I'm surprised that no one could get the OP the correct unit, somewhere from on his own continent.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RockAuto ships everywhere in the world.

Well, then should have been no reason to get the wrong part in that case, as RA has all of the correct alternators.

Thanks for the correction.

Latest posts

Members online