Aftermarket Stereo 03 Liberty HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
**************Nevermind, it was the #9 fuse**************

Hey all

Trying to install a stereo on an 03 liberty sport.

I pulled the stock out, (all sorts of issues with it). I am installing an aftermarket stereo that is nothing super nice. This is the wiring diagram I found:

2003 Jeep Liberty Car Stereo Radio Wiring Diagram

Radio Constant 12V+ Wire: Pink
Radio Ignition Switched 12V+ Wire: Orange/Red
Radio Ground Wire: Black
Radio Illumination Dimmer Wire: Orange
Radio Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A
Radio Amplifier Trigger Wire: N/A
Front Speakers Size: N/A
Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Wire (+): Green
Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Brown/Red
Right Front Speaker Wire (+): Purple
Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Blue/Red
Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Wire (+): Brown/Yellow
Left Rear Speaker Wire (-): Brown/Light Blue
Right Rear Speaker Wire (+): Blue/White
Right Rear Speaker Wire (-): Blue/Orange

I have a few issues:

1. There are two pink constant 12v wires, and two black ground wires. ?
2. The Radio Illumination Dimmer Wire: Orange, has no hookup on the new harness so my instrument cluster has no lights to it :/

Anyone installed an aftermarket stereo? How did you deal with the cluster lights?

Thanks

David

Last edited:

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you buy a wire harness adapter to connect the new radio to the existing factory harness or did cut the factory harness off and wire the new radio harness directing into the Jeep?

i'm about to install a new radio in my 02KJ and i notice when i splicing the radio harness and the factory adapter harness together I notice on factory adapter side there was a line a for the dimmer but i figured that be left un-used b/c there is no need for the dimmer to be used on the new stereo.

Last edited:

TigerPaw

Reaction score
I installed an after market in my 05. I have to say in terms of customer service www.crutchfield.com was the best. Thats where I got mine and what I'd recommend to anyone.

If I remember correctly, I had the same issue with the wire. I believe you can choose whichever black wire you want to hook up. If it comes to wires that dont have connections like pink or brown, you just cap them and leave it. I know for sure I had a brown that didnt have a hookup and I just left it. I think Ive had my stereo for 3 years now? no issues. Hope that helps.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I installed an after market in my 05. I have to say in terms of customer service www.crutchfield.com was the best. Thats where I got mine and what I'd recommend to anyone.

If I remember correctly, I had the same issue with the wire. I believe you can choose whichever black wire you want to hook up. If it comes to wires that dont have connections like pink or brown, you just cap them and leave it. I know for sure I had a brown that didnt have a hookup and I just left it. I think Ive had my stereo for 3 years now? no issues. Hope that helps.

X2 in regards to crutchfield... I bought a head unit from them and new speakers. I had called them on a Saturday for help and they were fast to assist and faxed me over very easy to follow diagrams.

jonah13

Reaction score
your new after market stereo when u hook up the power 12volt wire your stereo will power up, use your menu on your stereo to adjust the brightness. Leave the orange wire. The dimmer dose not work with after market stereo.

jonah13

Reaction score
This is how I did mine, hook all the spaeker wires to the right ones,your issue with the two ground wires you dont have to use them if you have the wire harness that came with it black wire ground it to a good ground . Red goes to fuse or battery or the pink one , Dont worry about the antenna wire not unless u have a power one, the one for memory hook it to the orange/red one, now your done.