Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

KJ General Discussion

Adding a true water temperature gauge?

This is a discussion on Adding a true water temperature gauge? within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Originally Posted by LibertyTC For water Temps, I use a small OBD2 scan gauge reader. Handy & can clear codes ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Originally Posted by LibertyTC View Post
For water Temps, I use a small OBD2 scan gauge reader. Handy & can clear codes etc.
Dont believe Ive ever seen mine over 218F before I added the mechanical fan. Now it stays under 204F. Wonder why yours is 222F?
LibertyTC likes this.
-OME/Rustys Lift
-Powertrax No-slip
-Flowmaster 50 Series SUV
-245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS
Jeepsters Gallery
JeepJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

My jeep runs around 188 to 200 even on a hot day. And I don't even have my clutch fan installed.
LibertyTC likes this.
800 Watt Inverter with custom face plate, winter renegade rims, Ziebart undercoating, Diehard Platinum, interior lights for back seat, back up camera and backup lights, DRL's, front facing work lights, Train horn, Heated mirrors, MB Quart OA800.4 amp, rear fog lights, Full skid plates, cb radio, OME medium duty lift, DIY extreme ported and polished throttle body.
renegade 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Super Mod

Originally Posted by JeepJeepster View Post
Dont believe Ive ever seen mine over 218F before I added the mechanical fan. Now it stays under 204F. Wonder why yours is 222F?
Yes good question, & I think my Jeep just likes it hot lol.. No clutch cooling here, does not help things.
This was stuck in traffic after coming off the freeway. No A/c on.
I am planning on doing further inspections though.
Recently I noticed that with AC on- the temps dropped back fairly quickly.
This could be a sign that with AC on- the fan is being forced on & a possible problem with the fan relay.
Keep in mind that the fan may not even turn on until 218F, but is the fan actually reaching high speed? I'm going to have to investigate things soon !
I assume my 04 should have a 2 speed fan.
I forget now, how do you force on the fan to high speed at connector< by removing it?
Edit/Add.. I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ-0_m0bwuc

Last edited by LibertyTC; 05-15-2018 at 06:26 PM.
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Jeep gets hot on occasion. Typically, it will be in situations where I'm stuck in 3rd gear for longer periods of time, for example, maintaining speed up a long incline or when driving on sand and the Jeep stays in the 3000+ RPM range for longer. The temp gauge will move past the halfway and continue to climb until I either slow down so the RPM's drop OR I turn off the A/C. Once the A/C is off, the temp gauge drops straight away.
Jeep KJ V6 Renegade 05, OME/Bilstein 2.5" Lift, ARB Front Air Lockers, ARB Bull Bar, ARB IPF HiD Lights 100W, Safari Snorkel, Grande Winch 12K, Maxxis 980 245/70/16 All Terrain, TX3400 GME UHF, Baintech Dual Battery System, JBA-A Arms, Mopar Skid Plates, Custom Roof Rack, Wanderer Side Awning.
Damotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

Yes, the A/C forces the fan to run on low. And yes, the 04 should have the 2 speed fan (two relays in the PDC) and mine always seemed to kick on right at 218F. Its not kicked on since installing the mech fan but sometimes it kicks on when idling for along time... Havent figured that one out yet and couldnt find anything in the FSM.. Im sure a quick spike on a hot day is normal but personally I dont like the huge temperature swings. It may never cause an issue but I wish I wouldve installed the mechanical fan from day 1. Constantly going from 195 to 218 and back to 195 just seems crazy. Ive wondered if this can cause issues with the already fragile valve seats...

Since installing a transmission temp gauge and seeing how high its gotten, I would hate to know how hot my transmission has been before. Ive never seen the light kick on but its been up to 210F in the pan several times since installing the temp gauge. And the mechanical fans seems to have made no difference in the transmission temps... So the factory cooler is obviously too small.

Damotee, you may want to look into that. Not sure what year you have but its possible the high speed isnt working.
LibertyTC likes this.
-OME/Rustys Lift
-Powertrax No-slip
Jeepsters Gallery
Old 05-16-2018, 10:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

The key to controlling the transmission temperature is to build a transmission cooling system consisting of a in radiator cooler in series with a large external cooler.
LibertyTC likes this.
800 Watt Inverter with custom face plate, winter renegade rims, Ziebart undercoating, Diehard Platinum, interior lights for back seat, back up camera and backup lights, DRL's, front facing work lights, Train horn, Heated mirrors, MB Quart OA800.4 amp, rear fog lights, Full skid plates, cb radio, OME medium duty lift, DIY extreme ported and polished throttle body.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

I agree... Im not replacing the radiator just to gain the extra cooler though. Ill wait till it starts leaking then Ill replace it with a 2002 rad.
-OME/Rustys Lift
-Powertrax No-slip
Jeepsters Gallery
Old 05-16-2018, 05:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Super Mod

I just tested my cooling system. So..No A/C on temps rise to 217F where the electric fan automatically came on.
With fan now running, it shut off at 212F and with fan stopped, cooled back to 200F pretty quick.
I guess the system is working as it should. As far as they 2 relay's, going to have to look into that. If my fan was running at high speed, really did not seem like it.
Going to have to check things out a bit more closely here.
Why did jeep want the electric fan only begin to kick on at 217F? That seems a bit high to begin the cooling process..?
Maybe I should install my own fan switch, to get the fan working when I want !
Would be nice to have it run for a few minutes once you turn the Jeep off too.
Found photo of 2 relays hi-low, looks good so far. #15 btw was highlighted as a power removing storage fuse.

Last edited by LibertyTC; 05-16-2018 at 05:55 PM. Reason: add 2 fan relay's pic
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

Administrator

This is an interesting thread. When all is said and done, I think there are a lot of little variables like outside temps, a/c on or off, heater, max cooling or no max cooling package, up/down mountains, thermostat a couple of degrees different, how much HOAT you put in when you changed your anti-freeze, and on and on..... As Jeepjeepster also mentioned, the 02 KJ's had a better radiator.

Mine when running normal hot is right around 200-205 but has been a couple of degrees higher on occasion.

I do little things like shut down the a/c on a super hot day if going up one of the steep and long mountain grades around here. Sometimes lock out o/d depending. When I get to the top of the grade, I switch the a/c back on and shift back to o/d. But I am probably anal.

Dave
LibertyTC likes this.

Need More Stuff..

Become a Supporting Member
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/payments.php
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Adding a switch to control the fan speed is not a simple task and if you mess it up you can damage your cooling fan. I am just saying to make sure you plan it out properly and understand what wires you are cutting. Feel free to PM me as I have switches to control my cooling fan speed.
LibertyTC likes this.