Adding a true water temperature gauge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daves06lrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone added a true water temperature (not the idiot gauge in the cluster)...
I would like to add that gauge and also an oil pressure gauge...
Any thoughts?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added an oil pressure gauge, and the way to add the oil pressure sender is to tee off the existing oil pressure switch. Make sure you get a remote mount electric gauge not a mechanical gauge as well. The accutech gauges are what some of the race cars that I work on use and these gauges are well worth the money and are of very high quality compared to autometer garbage. Longacre AccuTech SMi Stepper Motor Oil Pressure Gauge 46540

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Make sure you get a remote mount electric gauge not a mechanical gauge as well. "

I'll agree with this from the standpoint of all the oil puddles I've seen both outside and inside vehicles over the years where either a fitting backed off, or something rubbed a hole in a line.(referring to oil gauge)

But then you're still relying on a second "idiot gage" same as the factory one (and not a damn bit better).

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
For water Temps, I use a small OBD2 scan gauge reader. Handy & can clear codes etc.
61640[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 145mYPt.jpg
    145mYPt.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 0

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got an OBDII bluetooth reader to check my temps because I didn't trust that gauge after having a Dodge with a true readout. Not sure if it does oil pressure as well. I run it off $50 android tablet that has GPS so I can use it for navigation as well.

Akley88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got an OBDII bluetooth reader to check my temps because I didn't trust that gauge after having a Dodge with a true readout. Not sure if it does oil pressure as well. I run it off $50 android tablet that has GPS so I can use it for navigation as well.

what all temps can you monitor with it?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait wait wait....Explain this more please....
Jim
Mine may no longer be available? but is an Autel Maxitrip TP-100
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiTrip-TP100-4-In-1-Computer/dp/B001LHVQIQ/?tag=leosm1-20
One that still is available is Link: https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/
Hope this helps.
It never seems to amaze me how many of my photos, get stolen for use on other's sites!
61652[/ATTACH]"]

Link:http://autobazar.slovenskainzercia.sk/autodoplnky/inzerat/2205386-palubny-pocitac-autel-tp100-ponuka/

Attachments

• FVRVMhA.jpg
    FVRVMhA.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what all temps can you monitor with it?

Not sure right now because my Jeep is in the shop with the Bluetooth adapter in the center console. I know I intake air and coolant temp are on there in the app I use (Torque. I'm using the lite version till my google surveys earn me enough to get the pro/paid version, so there might be more available in that version) and I have them preset on the tablet I'm using.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just bought one from Ebay and here is what the back of the box states:

digital gauges available:
Vehicle speed (MPG)
manifold pressure
battery voltage
engine load
coolant temp.
throttle position
intake air temp
ignition timing
engine speed (RPM)
closed/open loop
water temp (isnt this the same as coolant temp.???)

will do a full write up when i get it and install it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For water Temps, I use a small OBD2 scan gauge reader. Handy & can clear codes etc.
61688[/ATTACH]"]

Dont believe Ive ever seen mine over 218F before I added the mechanical fan. Now it stays under 204F. Wonder why yours is 222F?

Attachments

• 145mYPt.jpg
    145mYPt.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont believe Ive ever seen mine over 218F before I added the mechanical fan. Now it stays under 204F. Wonder why yours is 222F?
Yes good question, & I think my Jeep just likes it hot lol.. No clutch cooling here, does not help things.
This was stuck in traffic after coming off the freeway. No A/c on.
I am planning on doing further inspections though.
Recently I noticed that with AC on- the temps dropped back fairly quickly.
This could be a sign that with AC on- the fan is being forced on & a possible problem with the fan relay.
Keep in mind that the fan may not even turn on until 218F, but is the fan actually reaching high speed? I'm going to have to investigate things soon !
I assume my 04 should have a 2 speed fan.
I forget now, how do you force on the fan to high speed at connector< by removing it?
Edit/Add.. I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ-0_m0bwuc

Last edited:

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Jeep gets hot on occasion. Typically, it will be in situations where I'm stuck in 3rd gear for longer periods of time, for example, maintaining speed up a long incline or when driving on sand and the Jeep stays in the 3000+ RPM range for longer. The temp gauge will move past the halfway and continue to climb until I either slow down so the RPM's drop OR I turn off the A/C. Once the A/C is off, the temp gauge drops straight away.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the A/C forces the fan to run on low. And yes, the 04 should have the 2 speed fan (two relays in the PDC) and mine always seemed to kick on right at 218F. Its not kicked on since installing the mech fan but sometimes it kicks on when idling for along time... Havent figured that one out yet and couldnt find anything in the FSM.. Im sure a quick spike on a hot day is normal but personally I dont like the huge temperature swings. It may never cause an issue but I wish I wouldve installed the mechanical fan from day 1. Constantly going from 195 to 218 and back to 195 just seems crazy. Ive wondered if this can cause issues with the already fragile valve seats...

Since installing a transmission temp gauge and seeing how high its gotten, I would hate to know how hot my transmission has been before. Ive never seen the light kick on but its been up to 210F in the pan several times since installing the temp gauge. And the mechanical fans seems to have made no difference in the transmission temps... So the factory cooler is obviously too small.

Damotee, you may want to look into that. Not sure what year you have but its possible the high speed isnt working.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The key to controlling the transmission temperature is to build a transmission cooling system consisting of a in radiator cooler in series with a large external cooler.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree... Im not replacing the radiator just to gain the extra cooler though. Ill wait till it starts leaking then Ill replace it with a 2002 rad.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I just tested my cooling system. So..No A/C on temps rise to 217F where the electric fan automatically came on.
With fan now running, it shut off at 212F and with fan stopped, cooled back to 200F pretty quick.
I guess the system is working as it should. As far as they 2 relay's, going to have to look into that. If my fan was running at high speed, really did not seem like it.
Going to have to check things out a bit more closely here.
Why did jeep want the electric fan only begin to kick on at 217F? That seems a bit high to begin the cooling process..?
Maybe I should install my own fan switch, to get the fan working when I want !
Would be nice to have it run for a few minutes once you turn the Jeep off too.
Found photo of 2 relays hi-low, looks good so far. #15 btw was highlighted as a power removing storage fuse.
61694[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• Ho0QfAR.jpg
    Ho0QfAR.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread. When all is said and done, I think there are a lot of little variables like outside temps, a/c on or off, heater, max cooling or no max cooling package, up/down mountains, thermostat a couple of degrees different, how much HOAT you put in when you changed your anti-freeze, and on and on..... As Jeepjeepster also mentioned, the 02 KJ's had a better radiator.

Mine when running normal hot is right around 200-205 but has been a couple of degrees higher on occasion.

I do little things like shut down the a/c on a super hot day if going up one of the steep and long mountain grades around here. Sometimes lock out o/d depending. When I get to the top of the grade, I switch the a/c back on and shift back to o/d. But I am probably ****.

Dave

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding a switch to control the fan speed is not a simple task and if you mess it up you can damage your cooling fan. I am just saying to make sure you plan it out properly and understand what wires you are cutting. Feel free to PM me as I have switches to control my cooling fan speed.

Latest posts

Members online