AC Compressor Clutch Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeffreywp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 liberty Sport with the 2.4, if that makes a difference. I believe the clutch is worn, as the ac will work for an uncertain amount of time then fade out and back in some of the time. Usually after it quits it doesn't come back until it has cooled off. If I run it till it quits, you can see the clutch move in and out when someone switches the ac on and off, and if you tap it with the ball of the hitch, it will engage with the hitch magnetically attached :eek:. I got the bolt off of the clutch, but how do you remove the clutch. The factory manual does not mention any special tool for removal and just says "remove the clutch plate".

parkrndl

Reaction score
Watching this since my 2003 3.7 does the same thing... compressor quits after 10-15 min, won't come back on till cooled off, will start turning again if you tap the compressor/clutch with the switch on...

--rick

Vgirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 liberty Sport with the 2.4, if that makes a difference. I believe the clutch is worn, as the ac will work for an uncertain amount of time then fade out and back in some of the time. Usually after it quits it doesn't come back until it has cooled off. If I run it till it quits, you can see the clutch move in and out when someone switches the ac on and off, and if you tap it with the ball of the hitch, it will engage with the hitch magnetically attached :eek:. I got the bolt off of the clutch, but how do you remove the clutch. The factory manual does not mention any special tool for removal and just says "remove the clutch plate".

Hey!! I saw your post and thought my reply to parkrndl (rick) might be helpful for you too. Scroll to the #2 post http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f235/new-jeeps-2003-3-7-limited-64060/#post737630

Longer story short: the manual guide probably states that because the AC clutch itself cannot be replaced. You might be able to remove the plate. But if the AC clutch needs replacing it's sold as one unit (clutch, compressor, etc).

Good luck, hope that helped despite not having better news for ya!

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey!! I saw your post and thought my reply to parkrndl (rick) might be helpful for you too. Scroll to the #2 post http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f235/new-jeeps-2003-3-7-limited-64060/#post737630

Longer story short: the manual guide probably states that because the AC clutch itself cannot be replaced. You might be able to remove the plate. But if the AC clutch needs replacing it's sold as one unit (clutch, compressor, etc).

Good luck, hope that helped despite not having better news for ya!

Is that specific to the 2.4L? Because 3.7L clutch plates, coils, pullies and bearings are very much available. The "clutch" component of the a/c compressor (at least on the v6) is composed of the clutch plate, coil and the other side of the clutch is built into the pulley itself. No need to buy as an assembly with a full compressor.

Looks like this in a kit:

You must be registered for see images attach

Vgirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that specific to the 2.4L? Because 3.7L clutch plates, coils, pullies and bearings are very much available. The "clutch" component of the a/c compressor (at least on the v6) is composed of the clutch plate, coil and the other side of the clutch is built into the pulley itself. No need to buy as an assembly with a full compressor.

Looks like this in a kit:

You must be registered for see images attach

Hi, I have a 3.7L v6 and was told by multiple mechanics/shops it was only sold as one unit because of part availability/design!! So that's what I had done. Ugh.

***** for me but your post is great news for the OP and parkrnl.

Thank you for the correction!

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 3.7L v6 and was told by multiple mechanics/shops it was only sold as one unit because of part availability/design!! So that's what I had done. Ugh.

***** for me but your post is great news for the OP and parkrnl.

Thank you for the correction!

Oh bummer.. sorry to hear that about your experience. I had read similar comments myself, but the clutch, rotor and coil can all be removed and replaced. Sanden even has a procedure in the manual here, Section 8:

http://www.sanden.com/productlibrary/manuals/SD_Service_Guide_Rev_2.pdf

Vgirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online