AC Compressor Bypass?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the original serpentine belt path (for an 04 KJ, 3.7 Base Model) I would guess that I could bypass the AC Compressor...

You must be registered for see images

Like this:
You must be registered for see images attach

EDIT: For future reference. This path will work. A 82.5" belt is required in most cases.

All the pulleys would continue rotating in the same direction they were before (if illustration of rotation is backwards then oops, I can fix it but you get the point), but with the AC removed. Wondering if anyone has tried this as a temporary solution to a seized up AC compressor. I intend on replacing mine and having it professionally recharged, but I don't have the money/time to right now. A shorter belt would be far cheaper for me.

Has anyone done this? If so what size belt? If not does anyone have a guess?

Also my only concern has that the water pump wouldn't have enough belt on it to properly turn the pulley.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was also posted HERE about a month ago, does the search feature work?

It can be done, you need another, smaller belt..

HERE where? I did an extensive search of the site and came up with no results for a bypass. I see however that all kinds of people have had this issue, but no one has seemed to bypass it like this. Everyone just eventually replaces it.

Except for you JeepFrog...

So thank you JeepFrog that should do well.

jeepfrog

Reaction score
You're welcome.
The pulley on the compressor seized up completely. We had to do the bypass in order to get the jeep mobile again. We also had to remove the compressor to make sure the shorter belt did not rub against the seized pulley. I will eventually be replacing the compressor - was not in a position to pick one up in Moab.

Latest posts

Members online