4HI and Part Time not working?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nfac556

Reaction score
I just got a 2005 CRD a month ago, and i had to use 4WD a few days ago and noticed that it wasnt working. After messing around with it for a while i figured out that 4LO works but Part Time and 4HI dont. Has anyone else experinced this and know whats wrong? I'm hoping its an easy fix...

Thanks!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What caused you to diagnose that it wasn't working? Noises? Grinding? Just not engaging? How do you know 4 part-time didn't engage while 4 LO did? Based on what you've told me, the flux capacitor can be the part that's broken...! :D

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know that 4HI (full time i assume) and part time don't work while 4LO does? I was having problems with my transfer case also. It would pop out of 4wd and into 2wd, mostly when stressed in 4LO but also in any 4WD mode. I could still run in "2LO" (front wheels wouldnt engage) or full time or part time just without front wheel power. I swapped out the transfer case because i found one cheap and needed a DD. When I take it apart I suspect I will find either a loose chain, worn teeth on a sprocket, or bent shift forks. I have the np242 select trac, not the np231.

nfac556

Reaction score
Because i was in mud and the tires didnt spin!!!!!! it will work in 4LO but not the others, and i've tired it a couple times since. The front end wont even bind in 4HI.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because i was in mud and the tires didnt spin!!!!!! it will work in 4LO but not the others, and i've tired it a couple times since. The front end wont even bind in 4HI.

Your symptoms sound like the issues that led trent.brown to replace his transfer case.

A cheap attempt to try - change the fluid in the transfer case with ATF+4 (ONLY!!) and see if that helps. Inspect the old fluid for chunks of metal or shavings.

The previous owner may have run it in 4Hi on dry pavement and caused the driveline to bind - thereby breaking it. :pp:

Bob