42RLE and 45RFE Transmission Filter and Gasket Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Maybe Sticky This)

Getting ready to change the fluid and filter in my 03' and i came across the problem of determining which transmission i actually have, since 03' seems to be the dividing line for the Liberty in this respect.

In the process i found the gaskets, filters, and everything needed for both transmissions and i wanted to share this info in case anyone else needs it.

First off, the number of bolts on the pan.

42RLE = 13 Bolts
45RFE = 15 Bolts

There is a gasket available for the 42RLE, despite popular belief that it must be done with RTV. There is actually two types available, a fiber gasket and a cork gasket. The one pictured is the cork.

You must be registered for see images

As opposed to the 45RFE the 42RLE only has one filter and only one style of that filter for both 2x4 and 4x4 applications.

Here is the 45RFE pan gasket, there is a rubberized and a plain cork gasket available, this is the black rubberized version.

Now for the filters. First of all it would appear both the 2x4 and 4x4 applications of this transmission need this filter.

Then depending on what you have, 2x4 or 4x4, there is a different sump filter for it.

Here is the 2x4 filter front and back.

Here is the 4x4 filter front and back.

Last edited by a moderator:

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, but there is one thing to note: Do not use a gasket on the 45RFE as the surface is ribbed for use with RTV. If you want you can use a gasket sandwiched in between RTV, but if you use just a gasket then you will have a leak (or at least seepage).

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, but there is one thing to note: Do not use a gasket on the 45RFE as the surface is ribbed for use with RTV. If you want you can use a gasket sandwiched in between RTV, but if you use just a gasket then you will have a leak (or at least seepage).

Nope, the 45RFE has a flat surface and was intended for gasket use only.

Perhaps you meant the 42RLE?? That does have a ribbed surface on some of them. According to the transmission websites and people i spoke with if you have the pan with the slight indentation around the bolt holes and inbetween them then you should use a light coat of RTV on the pan and then apply the cork gasket to the pan, NO RTV on the trans to facilitate removal later.

If you have the 42RLE with a flat mating surface around and between the bolt holes then you should use the fiber gasket, make sure everything is clean, and NO RTV at all, unless you need a dab or two to keep the gasket in place for install.

And of course its just like doing a valve cover gasket in the olden days, torque it and then after a while recheck the torque to prevent leaks. I haven't had a pan gasket leak yet, and all i ever used was cork gaskets and a drop or two of RTV on the corners to keep it in place while installing.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh another note...

The gasket is shown as available for 03-07 Jeep Liberty from some suppliers, but for others they have to cross reference to the Dodge Dakota or the Dodge Durango, i was also told by one Chrysler dealer that i spoke with for prices that it crossed to the gasket used on the Jeep Wrangler as well.

I did a few days worth of homework here. Talked to two transmission shops, one of which was very helpful and spent about an hour talking to me about it as their head guy has done quite a few 42RLE's over the years. He told me whenever he does a Liberty he grabs either of the gaskets and puts it back together that way instead of RTV as its a pain getting them off. Only two returns for a leak in all those years of doing it, and he said those were solved by checking the torque on the bolts.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the two gaskets i verified would work on the 42RLE, i compared them physically one over the top of the other.

ATP TG111
Fel-Pro TOS18743

Myself i would go with the Fel-Pro, its the rubber/cork blended gasket. I have used their valve cover, transmission pan, oil pan, gaskets for other projects with no leaks and no problems.

The ATP is the cheaper cork only type gasket like the picture in my first post.

Both gaskets and all the filters are available from RockAuto.com and a few others, though Rock seems to be about the cheapest when it comes to shipping as well.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only used 45rfe,I think.

Correct, the spin on filter is ONLY used in the 45RFE, the 42RLE only has the sump filter.

The 45RFE has the spin on filter in the return from the cooler, it has two filters, the spin on and the sump filter.

I edited the OP to reflect that info as well since it was brought up.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
45RFE is the first picture, 42RLE is the second.

Attachments

• 45rfetrans.jpg
    45rfetrans.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 372
  • 42rletrans.jpg
    42rletrans.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 338

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for all this info. Kb0nly...mind if I sticky it???

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all this info. Kb0nly...mind if I sticky it???

Go for it! That's why i mentioned it at the top of my post. I see a lot of 42 or 45 questions go by on here and other forums and since i hit the same problem i figured i would share my results.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A note on this...

My appologies, i did make another phone call to a guy that i know who works on transmissions for a living. According to him some of the earlier uses of the 45RFE in Dodge/Chrysler vehicles did use RTV sealant for the pan. However he did say if they get one in with RTV sealing the pan they put a gasket in when they reassemble. For the later vehicles, according to him after 2005, they usually have the gasket instead.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A note on this...

My appologies, i did make another phone call to a guy that i know who works on transmissions for a living. According to him some of the earlier uses of the 45RFE in Dodge/Chrysler vehicles did use RTV sealant for the pan. However he did say if they get one in with RTV sealing the pan they put a gasket in when they reassemble. For the later vehicles, according to him after 2005, they usually have the gasket instead.

Hmm, I know that on our KJ the pan surface is ribbed and when I was filling the trans I quickly found out that the rubber gasket did not hold fluid. I ended up dropping the pan a second time and sealed the trans with RTV. Luckily, I only put in a couple of quarts of ATF into the trans.

The KJ is a 2003 model made in early 2002 (prelowered).

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, your is an early 45RFE with the ribbed pan edge, later models don't have that. I found a transmission parts website that asked if you had the ribbed or non-ribbed pan if it was before 05'.

However, according to the dealers and shops i spoke with if its torqued to the specified amount with the gasket it will be fine, so i don't know what to make of the conflicting information there.

The nearest Jeep dealer i have, i called them to find the part number and prices on a few things, said they replace all transmission pans with a gasket when servicing now, something about it being more time and cost effective. So they had the part numbers for the gaskets at hand and were well versed on it. Its probably because they can squeeze and extra $20 out of a customer by using a gasket instead, plus they can slap it back together right away rather than wait for the RTV to set, less time keeping it in the shop instead of putting the next one in, time is money ya know.. lol

Either way, do it however you feel comfortable is the main thing! Just figured i would post up all the info i found out, and it makes it handy for those who need to id the trans they have. I'll probably use the gasket for convenience sake, but then i also have the 42RLE.

Last edited:

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
45RFE is the first picture, 42RLE is the second.

OK, I found the part no, wasn't looking hard enough the first time.

The big square filter for the 42RLE is Part No. 52852913AB (Edit: Now been superceded by 68059549AA)

The smaller oval shaped filter for the 45RFE is Part No. 05013470AC

The spin-on cooler return filter in the 45RFE is Part No. 04799662

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I found the part no, wasn't looking hard enough the first time.

The big square filter for the 42RLE is Part No. 52852913AB

The smaller oval shaped filter for the 45RFE is Part No. 05013470AC

The spin-on cooler return filter in the 45RFE is Part No. 04799662

Thanks for saving me the work...

I had all those scribbled down from the dealer, hadn't got to putting them up yet because i wanted to double check them first through the web.

I also found the ATP and WIX part numbers for the filters, but anyone can get those by just going to rockauto.com and surfing down to the correct model year, i like their online catalog.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I got a couple of ATP111 gaskets. I bought them from rockauto.com. Strangely, their catalog doesn't shows the Fel-Pro TOS18743 as a valid option for a 2003 KJ. Only if you have a 42RLE with VLP...

By the way, the ATP111 doesn't seems made of cork ... it's kinda black...

Anyway... I'll try to post pics later.

Cheers! :)

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I got a couple of ATP111 gaskets. I bought them from rockauto.com. Strangely, their catalog doesn't shows the Fel-Pro TOS18743 as a valid option for a 2003 KJ. Only if you have a 42RLE with VLP...

By the way, the ATP111 doesn't seems made of cork ... it's kinda black...

Anyway... I'll try to post pics later.

Cheers! :)

The Fel-Pro is a cross out of the book at the local parts store, so not all places will show it for the 2003. The other problem of course is that most places don't know how to handle the 2003 as it could have either transmission.

The ATP111 i bought it kind of a rubberized black gasket. Are yours the hard material?

Latest posts

Members online