3.7l map sensor cleaning/replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

|V3nom|

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone cleaned or replaced the map sensor for general maintenance and not repair?

i wanted to clean it like i would the intake sensor to keep the performance from dropping but i cant get the left bolt out.

does anybody know how to easily take it off? does cleaning or replacing a functioning one help with power or mpg?

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't clean map sensors. You can attempt to clean MAF sensors very carefully, because they get coated with dirt from poor quality filtration systems(K&N, etc) or dirty air filters. MAP sensors should not get dirty at all, because a vacuum is being pulled on them. If crude gets into them, they are most likely done for. If you are having a performance issue, I would look elsewhere, such as the spark plugs, etc. MAF sensors and the fuel systems used with them work differently from speed density systems that rely solely on a map sensor.

|V3nom|

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MAP sensors should not get dirty at all, because a vacuum is being pulled on them.

thats the key phrase but its not a perfect world and this engine isnt the most advanced. im not doubting you at all, i dont think its really that dirty since i dont have any codes or serious problems, but i would like to take it out and have a look for myself.

the only thing i can think of getting on it is oil vapor from the pcv system or exhaust crude from the egr system, it does have 177k on it so i might be a little dirty. i wont really know for sure until i pull it.

i know maf and maps are different, a maf is more likely to skew readings than a map since a maf is flow based and a map is pressure based, but a map can still read inaccurate if its dirty. apparently the crds have a problem with the maps getting clogged due to the diesel setup but mine is gas so i wont have the same problem to that extent.

even based on the location of the map sensor it doesnt look to be in a high flow area making it even less likely to be covered in junk but im just really curious now so i gotta do it lol.

ill make sure to take a pic if i can get it out.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may end up doing damage to the map sensor and make it read off calibration, and causing some real headaches down the road. The map sensor measures pressure and vacuum in the intake manifold, that's it. Since your jeep is naturally asthmatic, the only time it will be under any pressure, is when the engine is off or possible wide open throttle, when there is no manifold vacuum. Even then it would only be atmospheric pressure, not positive pressure. If you are hell bound to tinker with it, get a spare, so that when this one no longer works, you can still drive a vehicle. It differs in how it works versus a MAF sensor, in that a MAF sensor determines air density, velocity, and volume, and in some cases also includes a temperature sensor to measure incoming air temp as well. With vehicles that use solely a MAP sensor, the ECM receives the signal info from the MAP sensor, and with that it watches the intake air temp and coolant temp sensors, as well as throttle position and engine RPMs, and barometric pressure, to determine via a pre-programmed table, how much air the engine is ingesting. I don't recall ever seeing a MAP sensor becoming clogged due to intake sludge, outside of another major failure. This is from 20 years in the business, and seeing 4-8 cars a day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year. In that time, I can probably only name three map sensors that actually did fail(failed and had tests to confirm a failure).
Now CRDs, or diesels in general, can be prone to excessive deposits in the intake. I would speculate that the fuel they are using has a real world cetane rating well below what is desired. I saw during a seminar in October covering the new 6.7L Ford diesel, a comparison of two EGR valves, one with twice as many miles as the other. The higher mileage engine had ran a cetane supplement, and the low mileage engine had not. One was almost spotless, and one was coked up bad. Guess which was which? Ford also conducted tests of fuel from all over the country, and the vast majority of the fuel samples tested well below cetane ratings. A little off the original topic, but thought I would throw that in.

Last edited:

|V3nom|

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah im a tinkerer at heart and i doubt ill damage it unless i drop it. maf cleaner or electrical cleaner is a pretty safe bet but if it breaks ill get a new one, no biggie.

my main reason for posting was for feedback from people who have replaced or cleaned it due to problems or regular maintenance(i clean the iat sensor when i clean the air filter). im still trying to figure out the best way to get it out, like unbolting all but one of the ac compressor bolts and swiveling it to get more room.

i do respect your opinion and thank you for posting. :)

thats cool to know about the diesel fuel, kinda similar to ethanol in gas.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah im a tinkerer at heart and i doubt ill damage it unless i drop it. maf cleaner or electrical cleaner is a pretty safe bet but if it breaks ill get a new one, no biggie.

my main reason for posting was for feedback from people who have replaced or cleaned it due to problems or regular maintenance(i clean the iat sensor when i clean the air filter). im still trying to figure out the best way to get it out, like unbolting all but one of the ac compressor bolts and swiveling it to get more room.

i do respect your opinion and thank you for posting. :)

thats cool to know about the diesel fuel, kinda similar to ethanol in gas.
Inside the MAP sensor it has a chamber sealed with a thin membrane that can be easily damaged.Better have a new one on hand.

Latest posts

Members online