2WD to 4x4 conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, though I've owned my '02 since it was new.

We, unwisely, bought a 2WD Liberty to tow behind our motorhome, no knowing it would've better all around, to get the 4x4 to begin with.

That's water under the bridge now, so I was interested in learning if converting is feasible. I know anything is possible, it just depends on how deep the pocketbook is... is this a bolt in process or does this require extensive fabrication work?

Thanks for any input you might provide.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
You'd be money ahead if you found a 4x4 KJ to trade your 2 wheeler in on.

There's no fabrication...but there's a whooooooooooooooooole lotta work needed.

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd be money ahead if you found a 4x4 KJ to trade your 2 wheeler in on.

There's no fabrication...but there's a whooooooooooooooooole lotta work needed.

Arrgh, I was afraid of that. Being retired puts me at a bit of a disadvantage, cash wise...

I thought that maybe it was a case of finding a donor car and swapping the components into mine. Ours is super clean, with only a little over 30,000 miles on it.

Oh well... perhaps I can build a "pre-runner" version... lol

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
A prerunner KJ would be wicked :D

Not saying a 2wd-to-4wd conversion isn't doable...you'd just be better off and money ahead selling the 2 wheeler and picking up a 4x4

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The only time you need a 4x4 is when you are seriously off roading in slippery, muddy,snow etc conditions. There is a whole lot more to maintain and worry about when you have an extra front diff and transfer case. Besides you can get your build sheet and see if you have a Trac-Lok (limited slip) rear differential. You be surprised what you can do with a 2 wheel drive and real good AT tires on. Tires are all the difference in the world when it comes to traction. The stock tires (all seasons) are horrible and should be immediately turfed if they are on your rig. I run GoodYear Wrangler SIlent Armor (kevlar Belted) http://www.goodyearwrangler.ca/en/
If you wanted to invest in a good locking rear diff, I think many in here would agree an ARB air locker would be best$ or a DTT (detroit true trac as secondary) that is cheaper.
2WD is Rear wheel Drive.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
so is the 2wd one fwd or rwd

RWD
The only time you need a 4x4 is when you are seriously off roading in slippery, muddy,snow etc conditions. There is a whole lot more to maintain and worry about when you have an extra front diff and transfer case. Besides you can get your build sheet and see if you have a Trac-Lok (limited slip) rear differential. You be surprised what you can do with a 2 wheel drive and real good AT tires on. Tires are all the difference in the world when it comes to traction. The stock tires (all seasons) are horrible and should be immediately turfed if they are on your rig. I run GoodYear Wrangler SIlent Armor (kevlar Belted) http://www.goodyearwrangler.ca/en/
If you wanted to invest in a good locking rear diff, I think many in here would agree an ARB air locker would be best$ or a DTT (detroit true trac as secondary) that is cheaper.
2WD is Rear wheel Drive.

Detroit TruTrac is not a locker.
Sorry, for ultimate off road giddyupness, you must have a driven front axle and a driven rear axle.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 4x4 thankfully and steep slopes in mud/snow ya front axle & rear ...4x4 please.
You are right I should have stipulated that Arb was true locker and DTT was what you do when the stock Trash Loc Limited slip breaks..LOL.

Does this Eaton Performance look good for a REAR DTT? (no clutches, wonder if this fits KJ?) Just straight gut swap using 29 spline stock axles? Anyone done one?
http://stores.hi-potek.com/Detail.bok?no=93
I have seen lots of others with clutch packs..this Eaton looks good and no friction modifier too.
If this Eaton does not work what gear driven (no clutches, is the best working for the KJ???) link..Please...

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this Eaton Performance look good for a REAR DTT? (no clutches, wonder if this fits KJ?) Just straight gut swap using 29 spline stock axles? Anyone done one?
http://stores.hi-potek.com/Detail.bok?no=93
I have seen lots of others with clutch packs..this Eaton looks good and no friction modifier too.
If this Eaton does not work what gear driven (no clutches, is the best working for the KJ???) link..Please...

your question is very confusing
the "REAR DTT" that you are talking about ,as far as I know, is a Detroit True Track
This is the same DTT or Detroit True Track in the link
it will work just fine in a KJ but it is an LSD and far from a locker
I do not care what any one tells you if you lift a wheel on an axle with a DTT
that wheel will spin and all the E-brake on the world will not help if you are going up hill
If it were even close to being as good as a locker then Eaton would stop making the Detroit Locker ,you would not need it

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. No where did I say a DTT was a locker, I know it is not.
Because I have a Trash-Lok, that once I have had to replace the clutches, I am looking for a better alternative as a replacement consideration.
I have an email into Eaton to confirm or deny if it will work on a kj, will reply again if it is good news. (somehow I doubt it)
Obviously an Arb Air locker would be best if you are willing to spend all that cash and labor to install it. This Eaton is the "secondary alternative consideration" for those on the cheap" and need to get rid of Trac-Lok.

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. No where did I say a DTT was a locker, I know it is not.
Because I have a Trash-Lok, that once I have had to replace the clutches, I am looking for a better alternative as a replacement consideration.
I have an email into Eaton to confirm or deny if it will work on a kj, will reply again if it is good news. (somehow I doubt it)
Obviously an Arb Air locker would be best if you are willing to spend all that cash and labor to install it. This Eaton is the "secondary alternative consideration" for those on the cheap" and need to get rid of Trac-Lok.

I can tell you that 99% of it is the Eaton ,Detroit TT then it will work
as long as it is a 29 spline Chrysler 8.25

but you are still apples and oranges when you talk ARB first choice and DTT
as a second choice
if you want what an ARB can do but are on a budget get a Detroit locker
I had the trash lock Dana 44 in my TJ and this is what I put
well first I put in a Power Trax ,COMPLETE TRASH ,I never made it to the end of a trail with out braking one and these are easy trails
also handled like total crap on road

Members online

No members online now.