2ohm to 4ohm sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HatterMT

Reaction score
Can anyone talk about the sound they get from putting a 4ohm in the stock location? I know the power is different but is it managable? Is the difference significant? I don't blare music but I need good sound. Right now everything is stock. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HatterMT

Reaction score
I think for now I’m just going to re foam the speakers until I get a new HU and speakers. Then I’ll run new wire to all of them. The reform kit is $32 to do all 4 and if I don’t get it perfect it’ll still sound better than they do now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used two different refoam kits and it's really hard to mess them up. They both worked great, once on the 02 and once on the 05. Not worth me getting a fancy stereo since I can hardly hear anymore...

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock? Which one? the infinity system or the low power one?

Either way, no need to rewire the doors, if you have infinity (which I think you might) I bought my replacement speakers and head unit from crutch field and it came with the directions on how to use the factory wires and wire around (remove) amps in the doors.

There are threads I made on installing my new system into my infinity equipped KJ. I recall testing with using factory amps with after market speakers, etc.

HatterMT

Reaction score
Stock? Which one? the infinity system or the low power one?

Either way, no need to rewire the doors, if you have infinity (which I think you might) I bought my replacement speakers and head unit from crutch field and it came with the directions on how to use the factory wires and wire around (remove) amps in the doors.

There are threads I made on installing my new system into my infinity equipped KJ. I recall testing with using factory amps with after market speakers, etc.

I know you can use the factory wire and bypass the amps, I'd rather run new wire from the new head unit to new speakers just because I like to know the connections are solid. I was wondering how much quieter a 4 ohm speaker hooked to the infinity 2 ohm amp is. More out of curiosity. If I reform my speakers I think they're going to sound pretty good, I can tell they'll have some bass just with what's left of the foam.

HatterMT

Reaction score
I've used two different refoam kits and it's really hard to mess them up. They both worked great, once on the 02 and once on the 05. Not worth me getting a fancy stereo since I can hardly hear anymore...

Did you use the frequency app to make sure the voice coil was aligned?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you use the frequency app to make sure the voice coil was aligned?

No but I think I got lucky. No rubbing. I would recommend using it if you can but had no issues with the Springfield Speaker or the Simply Speaker kits.

BTW I think I liked the Springfield kit a little more, They supplied a ton of glue with their kit.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
i recently refoamed my front speakers (rear were OK) and everything went smoothly. I used the frequency app to align the voice coil. I do not advise you to do it otherwise.

Last edited:

HatterMT

Reaction score
Hi there,
i recently refoamed my front speakers (rear were OK) and everything went smoothly. I used the frequency app to align the voice coil. I do not advise you to do it otherwise.

I'll get the app. To be clear, do I just strip a pair of headphones and attach the wires to the speaker and plug the jack into the phone? I don't need a special cable right?

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did, was connect the phone to the amp at home, and connected one of the speakers output to the speaker I wanted to refoam. I used clamps (i hope i am using the correct word here...) for my convenience. It is easy to align the coil, you just don't hear it...
There are many free Apps (tone generators)
No need to cut the dust caps as some say

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've re-foamed speakers before and it worked great. Wish I would've just done that back in the day but I went all out and rewired everything with a new amp.

Kaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did was remove the factory amps and speakers and bypassed them so I could run 4ohm speakers with a aftermarket head unit. Sounds much better considering my stock speakers were blown out.

HerronScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone talk about the sound they get from putting a 4ohm in the stock location? I know the power is different but is it managable? Is the difference significant? I don't blare music but I need good sound. Right now everything is stock. Thank you

We have an 02 Limited with the Infinity system and replaced all 4 front and rear door speakers with Polk DB651s from Crutchfield (located near us) and kept the Infinity amp and dash speakers. No issues with the 2ohm to 4 ohm change (I was a little concerned if it might hurt the balance with the dash speaker) and it sounds pretty decent.

Scott

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Piggybacking on this thread.

What is the current - available replacement for the Infinity dash speakers?

I'm am not removing the amps or replacing the stock head unit. I'm so deaf it does not make sense. Just need to replace the crackling stock ones.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Infinity kappa 62.11i is on my list for a 2ohm replacement speaker. Just need to get 2 sets for front and rear

Not going component / amp/ sub etc. I have other vehicles with thst
I just want factory sound or better with my aftermarket head unit

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a local car audio place throw in a very basic Kenwood deck.

I had the standard head unit, with nothing fancy (infinity/bose/whatever options)

All I wanted was to be able to talk hands free through bluetooth, so that was the only feature I really targeted in my search.

I think I spent about $120 on it including install(free). Only thing they installed was the head unit, they left the factory speakers/amps/whatever alone and connected to the factory wiring with a simple plug adapter.

The funny thing to me is that this is the least I have ever spent on a car stereo with the simplest install (no re-wiring), and it is easily the best sounding car stereo I have ever had. Sure, when I turn it up to super squelch territory, sound quality goes in the crapper, but I don't want to be deaf anyway. My volume control goes up to 32 (I think), anything 28 or above starts getting distortion/clipping, comfortable listening is 15 to 18 normally for me, 22 with the windows down.

I used to be a big Pioneer fan, the last model I bought of theirs was one that DIDN'T tout the use of mosfets, and it sounded like absolute garbage. I thought it might just be that head unit, so I returned for a new one at the store, same thing. I ended up returning again buying a kenwood (no mosfet either), and it sounded a little better, but I think I had crummy speakers (precision audio). That was back in my dodge neon in college, sounded ok for all of $300 in speakers and head unit.

Last edited:

Runion

Reaction score
Does the 2 ohm speaker versus the 4 ohm or 8 ohm speaker cause concern?

I read an article that lead me to believe that the speakers needed to be matched
to the amplifier output.
Why? I believe that a mismatch in power out (say an 8 ohm system) to
speakers (2 ohm) can cause power match problems. The mismatch is said
to be able to damage the speaker, the amp or both.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Just asking.

HatterMT

Reaction score
Does the 2 ohm speaker versus the 4 ohm or 8 ohm speaker cause concern?

I read an article that lead me to believe that the speakers needed to be matched
to the amplifier output.
Why? I believe that a mismatch in power out (say an 8 ohm system) to
speakers (2 ohm) can cause power match problems. The mismatch is said
to be able to damage the speaker, the amp or both.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Just asking.

In theory yes it could damage them. Depends on what everything is rated. The Ohm is the resistance. If you put a 4 ohm speaker on a 2 ohm amp it’ll need more power to push the speaker. 300 watts on that 4 ohm speaker is not as efficient as 300 watts on the 2 ohm.

Latest posts

Members online