Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

KJ General Discussion

2006 KJ - Click, no crank

This is a discussion on 2006 KJ - Click, no crank within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
I've looked at other threads and there are varying opinions on resolution. Anyways... I have a 2006 KJ 4WD Sport. ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2006 KJ - Click, no crank

I've looked at other threads and there are varying opinions on resolution. Anyways...

I have a 2006 KJ 4WD Sport. A couple months ago when I attempted to start it I got a single click. I tried this again 2-3 times and it turned over. This happened a couple of times and then mysteriously didn't happen again until this week. Now it has the same symptoms but doesn't seem to want to start unless I jump start it. I have a new battery in it, so I know it's not the battery. I also swapped out the starter relay with the windshield wiper relay and that didn't make a difference. I understand that there might be some cleaning that needs to be done, but if a jump start helps, doesn't that go to the same connections anyways?

A side note - If it ends up being a starter replacement, what is a ballpark estimate of that repair. From what I have seen in videos the driveshaft needs to be removed in order to replace the starter.

Thanks in advance!
clancampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Starter replacement on a 4wd KJ is 0.9 hours of labor so 0.9 hours of your local labor rate plus the cost of the starter is the cost.
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

What do you mean by "jump start"- jumper cables and another vehicle is what I think of
Jeremy-WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Starter replacement on a 4wd KJ is 0.9 hours of labor so 0.9 hours of your local labor rate plus the cost of the starter is the cost.
Thanks for the info...starters look like they're around $200, so figure at most $300.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Jeremy-WI View Post
What do you mean by "jump start"- jumper cables and another vehicle is what I think of
Yes. I thought it was bad battery - not enough crank amps.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Likely the starter then if you have to connect to a running vehicle to get it started but it wouldn't hurt to get that new battery load tested somewhere
Jeremy-WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Are you 100% sure its the starter? that sounds like it could be ignition switch or ignition actuator also
RenKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

You have to check all your battery & starter cables connections for rust. take them off and clean them!
Make sure your battery cables arent rotted!
Old 08-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah check the battery connections are clean and tight.

Clamping jumper leads over the existing battery clamps makes a good connection so if it starts OK then the original battery terminals/clamps may be bad.

Also check the negative battery lead going to chassis is clean and tight and check the grounding straps grounding the engine to chassis are clean and tight.

Check the connections to starter and solenoid are tight.

Check if it starts in Neutral instead of Park.

If still no-go remove the Starter relay.
Briefly jumper pin 30 to pin 80 inside the empty relay socket...make sure you are in Park/Neutral so you do not run anyone over and ignition must be switched ON.
If this works then it is most likely the ignition Actuator Pin Assembly breaking...report back here for info on how to replace it!
LibertyTC likes this.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Update 8/13/2018

I thoroughly cleaned the battery clamps, posts, and ground strap to chassis. I also tried starting from neutral.

I am still getting a single click when I try all these things, so as far as I can tell, the upper engine connections are good.

Of note, my Jeep is parked at a slight incline, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

Just wondering if there are any special requirements (wire guage, etc..) for the starter relay jumper trick. Or can you just use a paper clip?

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by Billwill View Post
Yeah check the battery connections are clean and tight.

Clamping jumper leads over the existing battery clamps makes a good connection so if it starts OK then the original battery terminals/clamps may be bad.

Also check the negative battery lead going to chassis is clean and tight and check the grounding straps grounding the engine to chassis are clean and tight.

Check the connections to starter and solenoid are tight.

Check if it starts in Neutral instead of Park.

If still no-go remove the Starter relay.
Briefly jumper pin 30 to pin 80 inside the empty relay socket...make sure you are in Park/Neutral so you do not run anyone over and ignition must be switched ON.
If this works then it is most likely the ignition Actuator Pin Assembly breaking...report back here for info on how to replace it!