2006 KJ - Click, no crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clancampbell

Reaction score
I've looked at other threads and there are varying opinions on resolution. Anyways...

I have a 2006 KJ 4WD Sport. A couple months ago when I attempted to start it I got a single click. I tried this again 2-3 times and it turned over. This happened a couple of times and then mysteriously didn't happen again until this week. Now it has the same symptoms but doesn't seem to want to start unless I jump start it. I have a new battery in it, so I know it's not the battery. I also swapped out the starter relay with the windshield wiper relay and that didn't make a difference. I understand that there might be some cleaning that needs to be done, but if a jump start helps, doesn't that go to the same connections anyways?

A side note - If it ends up being a starter replacement, what is a ballpark estimate of that repair. From what I have seen in videos the driveshaft needs to be removed in order to replace the starter.

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "jump start"- jumper cables and another vehicle is what I think of

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Likely the starter then if you have to connect to a running vehicle to get it started but it wouldn't hurt to get that new battery load tested somewhere

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you 100% sure its the starter? that sounds like it could be ignition switch or ignition actuator also

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to check all your battery & starter cables connections for rust. take them off and clean them!
Make sure your battery cables arent rotted!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah check the battery connections are clean and tight.

Clamping jumper leads over the existing battery clamps makes a good connection so if it starts OK then the original battery terminals/clamps may be bad.

Also check the negative battery lead going to chassis is clean and tight and check the grounding straps grounding the engine to chassis are clean and tight.

Check the connections to starter and solenoid are tight.

Check if it starts in Neutral instead of Park.

If still no-go remove the Starter relay.
Briefly jumper pin 30 to pin 80 inside the empty relay socket...make sure you are in Park/Neutral so you do not run anyone over and ignition must be switched ON.
If this works then it is most likely the ignition Actuator Pin Assembly breaking...report back here for info on how to replace it!

clancampbell

Reaction score
Update 8/13/2018

I thoroughly cleaned the battery clamps, posts, and ground strap to chassis. I also tried starting from neutral.

I am still getting a single click when I try all these things, so as far as I can tell, the upper engine connections are good.

Of note, my Jeep is parked at a slight incline, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

Just wondering if there are any special requirements (wire guage, etc..) for the starter relay jumper trick. Or can you just use a paper clip?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah check the battery connections are clean and tight.

Clamping jumper leads over the existing battery clamps makes a good connection so if it starts OK then the original battery terminals/clamps may be bad.

Also check the negative battery lead going to chassis is clean and tight and check the grounding straps grounding the engine to chassis are clean and tight.

Check the connections to starter and solenoid are tight.

Check if it starts in Neutral instead of Park.

If still no-go remove the Starter relay.
Briefly jumper pin 30 to pin 80 inside the empty relay socket...make sure you are in Park/Neutral so you do not run anyone over and ignition must be switched ON.
If this works then it is most likely the ignition Actuator Pin Assembly breaking...report back here for info on how to replace it!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thoroughly cleaned the battery clamps, posts, and ground strap to chassis. I also tried starting from neutral.

I am still getting a single click when I try all these things, so as far as I can tell, the upper engine connections are good.

Of note, my Jeep is parked at a slight incline, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

Just wondering if there are any special requirements (wire guage, etc..) for the starter relay jumper trick. Or can you just use a paper clip?

Thanks in advance!

Paper clip will work for a short time...it carries enough amps to energize the starter solenoid which then pulls in the heavy amps to turn the starter motor.

This overrides the Park interlock and the Neutral interlock and the ignition switch/actuator pin assembly.

Make sure Fuse #8 40 Amps in the box under the hood (PDC) is good....if the engine turns over it probably is the actuator pin assembly because if either the Park interlock or the Neutral are good then the engine would have turned over.

clancampbell

Reaction score
Update2 8/13/2018

Jumpered the starter relay and no go...still a click. One time it seemed like it wanted to turn over. Without a jack i just can't get in there to clean starter connections. Looks like I'm going to have to take it in.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you measure battery voltage at rest and then with the cranking click.
Measure from Battery cable to battery cable. then battery post to battery post.
A new battery doesnt mean it works right!

IMO: if it starts with a Jump, then the starter is good! 98% of the time!

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleaned my battery cables and still measured a significant voltage drop from the battery terminal to 1 inch away on the battery cable. Get a VOM meter and measure your current.

If good, before you purchase the starter, get a breaker bar and give it a tap after someone else turns the key. You usually get more than a few starts with a bang on the starter before it goes 100% dead.

My fix was to cut out a couple inches of the battery wire and install an new terminal.

clancampbell

Reaction score
A friend loaned me a load tester - shows voltage and CCA when you click a switch. It measured 12V and about 550 CCA loaded on both batteries. I have since returned the Walmart battery and am now using original which on the surface appears to be ok.

I will run those other voltage tests still before I go over to my buddies how to swap out the starter tonight.

Thanks!

Did you measure battery voltage at rest and then with the cranking click.
Measure from Battery cable to battery cable. then battery post to battery post.
A new battery doesnt mean it works right!

IMO: if it starts with a Jump, then the starter is good! 98% of the time!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check fuse #8 40 Amps under the hood?

Where does the "click" come from.....the starter area?
If so this is usually the solenoid clicking in as it should...this should now switch +12 volts through to the starter motor to turn over the engine.

You need to put a voltmeter on the solenoid to see if +12 volts does go through to the solenoid on the thin wire with respect to the body of the starter motor as a ground.

In other words maybe only the solenoid is bad.

If you do not already have the Wiring Diagrams for you model KJ download the relevant year Jeep KJ Service Manual here...includes Wiring Diagrams in section 8W.

As stated above...if the engine turns over when jump starting it from another vehicle or battery then there is nothing wrong with the starter or solenoid!

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Last edited:

clancampbell

Reaction score
FINAL Update 8/13/2018

Located the issue - lose nut on the starter. Buddy brought over his jack and jack stands and was able to work on the starter. Turns out it was a loose nut, so I guess all is well! Thanks to all who offered their suggestions!

Latest posts

Members online