2004 KJ: Need assistance with manual transmission fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samlesher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post. I just got a 2004 Jeep Liberty Columbia Edition, 3.6L V6, 5 speed manual transmission. 107,000 miles.

I'm changing all the fluids/spark plugs and making sure everything is fresh. The transmission seems louder than it should be, but I could be wrong as I don't know what it's supposed to sound like. I figure my best bet is to change the fluid and make sure it's full, and then see how it sounds. I have some questions about changing the fluid:

First, is there no dipstick? I can't find one anywhere, so I'm assuming there isn't one. Is there a hack to add a dipstick?

Second, I see references to a drain plug and a fill plug. I think I've found them, but I'm not sure. Do I have this photo labeled correctly? Apologies in advance, it was tricky to get a photo from under the vehicle. For clarity, I rotated the photo so that the drain plug is pointing towards the bottom of the pic. What I have labeled as "FILL" is pointing on the driver's side of the transmission:

You must be registered for see images attach

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've got the drain plug all right, but I think you've mislabeled the fill plug. Mine is in a similar spot on the PASSENGER side, and although there is a circular cutout on the driver's side, there is no actual plug there.

There is no dipstick. To check the level, you should remove the fill plug. If fluid flows out, the level is good; quickly replace the plug. For fluid changes, remove the fill plug, then the drain plug, and drain & replace the drain plug and refill through fill plug until fluid flows out. For more detail there should be a thread on it somewhere here- if you search for "manual transmission" you'll find it.

Good luck!

Last edited:

samlesher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I haven't found any detailed help via search yet. Im finding lots of stuff for automatic transmission, but not manual.

I will check the passenger side of the transmission once the sun comes back up.

samlesher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You were right, sevenhelmet. The fill plug was a 17mm hex plug just like the drain plug. For me it's on the driver's side of the transmission, just a little bit back from the bolt I have incorrectly labeled as "fill".

I successfully changed my manual transmission fluid today. I used the instructions from this website.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup! That looks like mine did when I first changed the oil.

Word to the wise: DON'T over-tighten the fill plug or it will get stuck and possibly round out when you try to remove it next time. If that happens, your only option is to fill your ****** through the shift tower which is a PITA. Ask me how I know.

samlesher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to pick up a torque wrench just for a little piece of mind.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to pick up a torque wrench just for a little piece of mind.

What oil did you use?

I have seen a lot of posts where manual owners put in normal gearbox oil and damaged their gearboxes.:freak3:

I will be doing my gearbox oil change sometime soon and will only use the recommended Mopar MTF fluid no matter what the cost is.

samlesher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What oil did you use?

I have seen a lot of posts where manual owners put in normal gearbox oil and damaged their gearboxes.:freak3:

I will be doing my gearbox oil change sometime soon and will only use the recommended Mopar MTF fluid no matter what the cost is.

I used Royal Purple Synchromax. Next time I will try Amsoil Full Synthetic Synchromesh. Seems to be just as good but half the price.

It took right around two quarts. I had to open a third bottle but only because my hand pump wasn't getting all the way to the bottom.

Last edited:

samlesher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been a day and 30 miles since I replaced the fluid and the transmission sounds 1000 times better. It sounds better this morning than it did before I went to bed, if that's possible.

First, second, and third gears are still a little loud/whiny/chatty, but 4th and 5th sound perfect. I found that if I put a little pressure on the left or right of the shifter, the noise quiets, so it seems like something may be a little loose in there. I wonder if it would be worth taking it to a Jeep mechanic just to check things out? Maybe it's time for a new clutch?