2003 Jeep Renegade 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emdock

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here.
I have a 2003 Jeep Renegade. I have had it for a year and a half and up until now it has been perfect.
The first bad snow of the winter, I put my Jeep into 4WD and it made a rattling sound but still worked great. I used it consistently with the really bad weather we have had for the past 2 or 3 weeks. The rattling sounded like it came from right under the drivers seat. The part time light was on and I could feel that it was working.
Just the other day I was driving on the bad back roads and I heard a really loud thunk that sounded like something fell out from the bottom of my Jeep. I pulled over to check and nothing was dragging and it did not look like anything fell. I went back in and started it up and drove back on the roads and the part time light was still on, but the 4WD no longer works. It made it super loud rattling noise now and I was sliding everywhere so I knew it was not working anymore. I went back to 2WD as to not mess it up more, and now I don't know what is wrong with it. But, the winter here is very bad and I am sliding and getting stuck everywhere with it in 2WD.
Just today I got stuck in my driveway and am still stuck there. I don't know if I accidentally pressed something though but a O/D light came on that I have never seen while I was trying to reverse out of getting stuck, and then it started smoking. I turned it off immediately and just took my boyfriends Jeep to work.
Does anyone know what is going on with this? I need a good Jeep with working 4WD for the winter and I am really hoping it is not a crazy expensive thing to fix.
Thank you

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Jeep Renegade. I have had it for a year and a half and up until now it has been perfect.
The first bad snow of the winter, I put my Jeep into 4WD and it made a rattling sound but still worked great. I used it consistently with the really bad weather we have had for the past 2 or 3 weeks. The rattling sounded like it came from right under the drivers seat. The part time light was on and I could feel that it was working.
Just the other day I was driving on the bad back roads and I heard a really loud thunk that sounded like something fell out from the bottom of my Jeep. I pulled over to check and nothing was dragging and it did not look like anything fell. I went back in and started it up and drove back on the roads and the part time light was still on, but the 4WD no longer works. It made it super loud rattling noise now and I was sliding everywhere so I knew it was not working anymore. I went back to 2WD as to not mess it up more, and now I don't know what is wrong with it. But, the winter here is very bad and I am sliding and getting stuck everywhere with it in 2WD.
Just today I got stuck in my driveway and am still stuck there. I don't know if I accidentally pressed something though but a O/D light came on that I have never seen while I was trying to reverse out of getting stuck, and then it started smoking. I turned it off immediately and just took my boyfriends Jeep to work.
Does anyone know what is going on with this? I need a good Jeep with working 4WD for the winter and I am really hoping it is not a crazy expensive thing to fix.
Thank you

More than likely its the rear CV on the front driveshaft, easy and cheap to repair . OD button is on the shifter handle

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never realized rebuild parts are available until I saw someone mention it here. From ANY parts store, much less Jeep, all that's available is a factory remanufactured complete shaft which sho nuff aint cheap!

Anybody got a source and part number for the repair kit for this fellow?

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you
Exactly like mine when the cv blew easy fix

2004 3.7 limited