2003 Jeep Liberty OME 2.5" Suspension Before & After

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the lift kit is complete! No issues along the way either, a buddy did everything but it turned out amazingly & he got some before & after pictures!

Rear suspension before & after: http://imgur.com/a/7810kne

Front suspension before & after & completed pictures: https://imgur.com/a/HNSvQlg

The ride is amazing! & we even took the Jeep for a test drive in the field in the background of the picture which has some pretty large pot holes & it handled it like a champ! The ride is a little stiff right now but 1000x better then the old suspension! I am assuming since the springs are heavy duty they have to be broken in. I could not be happier with the outcome & now I am just looking for some tires to complete my Liberty!

You will see in the pictures how BAD the front springs were, the back was bad as well but after the new ones were installed I feel like I am sitting on my roof when I drive now I am so high lol!

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! Very clean KJ you have there.:happy107:

Thanks everyone! & thank you Jo6pak! It has 85k miles on it with a new engine, new internals such as intake manifold, fuel system, UCAs & ball joints, radiator & tubing & related parts such as fan & others, exhaust is new OEM, all spark plugs & coil packs replaced in the last 2-3 years, rims within 3 years, hood, bumper, and grille painted recently, oil pan + related parts replaced & the list goes on. I lucked out & most of the stuff listed was replaced either when someone hit my Jeep when it was parked 2-3 years ago or when a dealership forgot to put oil back in my engine. It sat for a good bit since I had a work vehicle now I am driving it again switching off between a Genesis & my Jeep.

I plan on installing new tires soon, as soon as I find a decent deal as well! I find it difficult putting the money out for new tires when mine were replaced 3 years ago & have a good bit of thread left (10k+) but if I see a deal along the way I am going to jump on it! The only things on my to do list now is replacing the rear UCA & tires & re-gearing if needed. I thought I had a issue with my transmission but I was wrong & it is running great!

Do you think it looks funny with the tires it has? I am leaning towards getting new tires to fit the rims that are on it since I think it will set my jeep off, also I need to get a front end alignment since it looks like the toe is off (front tires look like they slightly bow in towards the bottom), that is the reason I did not take it to work today & I took my second vehicle. I am going to get a alignment after work. If I get a alignment now will I need another when I replace the tires?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
On all I do we get alignment done as soon as its lifted, then at 1000-1200 miles and then at 3000 or so
Of course depends on what type of roads you drive as well

No rear bumpstops .....................:emotions34:

Last edited:

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On all I do we get alignment done as soon as its lifted, then at 1000-1200 miles and then at 3000 or so
Of course depends on what type of roads you drive as well

No rear bumpstops .....................:emotions34:

The bump stops are there aren't they?

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup you definitely need to get the new bumpstops put in. The front and back are both pretty easy. A little bit of dish soap and a 2x4 make the fronts easy to pop in. The back is cake as well. Scroll down towards the bottom of the link and you'll see where the perch was drilled. Bolt the 2 hockey pucks in the spot after you put the spring back in.http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-install-frankenlift-*lots-pictures*-complete-29193/

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup you definitely need to get the new bumpstops put in. The front and back are both pretty easy. A little bit of dish soap and a 2x4 make the fronts easy to pop in. The back is cake as well. Scroll down towards the bottom of the link and you'll see where the perch was drilled. Bolt the 2 hockey pucks in the spot after you put the spring back in.http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-install-frankenlift-*lots-pictures*-complete-29193/

I had no idea & thank you! I have checked out the thread that was referenced & I am going to order the bump stops ASAP and have the put in, thanks everyone!

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great mate! Love the colour and the body looks in good nick!
Watch out for that upper control arm though, it looks like that ball joint is perishing? ( in that second last pic on the after link). Mine did the same because i had UCA's fitted that were not made for a lifted Jeep. It would even rub on the coil and eventually split at the base of the boot. Its easier to see with the tyre off.
I replaced them with JBA UCA's designed for lifted Jeeps and its much better. It doesnt rub and the ball joint is solid. Expensive yes, but worth it for me.

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great mate! Love the colour and the body looks in good nick!
Watch out for that upper control arm though, it looks like that ball joint is perishing? ( in that second last pic on the after link). Mine did the same because i had UCA's fitted that were not made for a lifted Jeep. It would even rub on the coil and eventually split at the base of the boot. Its easier to see with the tyre off.
I replaced them with JBA UCA's designed for lifted Jeeps and its much better. It doesnt rub and the ball joint is solid. Expensive yes, but worth it for me.

Thank you for taking the time to make me aware of this! That Upper Ball Joint was replaced recently within the last 2 months along with the UCA and front sway bar and bushings in preparation for the lift, do you think this is a risk of the ball joint separating? If so I will have this done and replaced with UCAs fitted for lifted jeeps, I have been driving my Jeep every day 60 miles both ways & it has never been driving better then since the lift was put on! I could not be happier with the outcome and to be honest I did not expect such great results. Also I plan on doing the bump stops within the next month anyway so things will be somewhat taken apart. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like it was replaced recently
And yes they will fail. One I lifted the guy waited a couple of months. When I jacked it up to install the JBA UCA's the stock one came apart (when I was jacking it up). He had just driven 3 hours to get to my garage

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did using that screw style spring compressor work for your friend who did the install? Most people find that those don't work well with the OME springs, don't fir the coils right or something....

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And yes they will fail. One I lifted the guy waited a couple of months. When I jacked it up to install the JBA UCA's the stock one came apart (when I was jacking it up). He had just driven 3 hours to get to my garage

Thanks for the advice it is greatly appreciated! Me and the same buddy that did the lift are coating the underside of my Jeep to prevent any further rust tomorrow so I will have him replace the driver & passenger upper ball joints, should I do anything else while I am at it? I would get Al's UCAs and ball joints but I just replaced the UCAs and would not be able to do it again. Thanks!

How did using that screw style spring compressor work for your friend who did the install? Most people find that those don't work well with the OME springs, don't fir the coils right or something....

There was some trouble with it, it took my buddy & his dad to successfully use the tool to compress the new springs, he did not say exactly how he ultimately got it but he did note that it was not easy for the front ones. If you are interested I will find out how he did it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice it is greatly appreciated! Me and the same buddy that did the lift are coating the underside of my Jeep to prevent any further rust tomorrow so I will have him replace the driver & passenger upper ball joints, should I do anything else while I am at it? I would get Al's UCAs and ball joints but I just replaced the UCAs and would not be able to do it again. Thanks!

There was some trouble with it, it took my buddy & his dad to successfully use the tool to compress the new springs, he did not say exactly how he ultimately got it but he did note that it was not easy for the front ones. If you are interested I will find out how he did it.

Easier and safer to take them to a shop, those are head knockers for sure when using on our springs
As far as the JBA UCAs , last set you'll have to buy, factory ones, well will be replacing them every so often

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You can do it - it just *****. 3 major franchises already turned me away. Said they wouldn’t fit or something like that. Sounds like BS to me but after doing the 02 at home- I’d rather pay to have em done. (I did pay for the 02 but they guy forgot the top washers and refused to redo the work in the timeframe I needed)

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I’d drive 3 hours to have you check out my jeep. Maybe toss ya some bucks and get me some 4:10s.
Maybe you can figure out the gremlins in the front end :help:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do it - it just *****. 3 major franchises already turned me away. Said they wouldn’t fit or something like that. Sounds like BS to me but after doing the 02 at home- I’d rather pay to have em done. (I did pay for the 02 but they guy forgot the top washers and refused to redo the work in the timeframe I needed)

I'd pay a shop, but I'm that bolded part is what I am afraid of. The only shops in the area that would be willing to do such a task are the ones that tend to be sketchy ... the guys working there are "mechanics" in the sense that they work on mechanical things about as much as me flushing a toilet makes me a plumber.

The advantage they have over me is more tools.