07 liberty front axle slipping out... again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farmboy530

Reaction score
2007 Jeep Liberty frankenlift front end, Jba rear springs all sitting at 4in.

The second time I tore into my front passenger side axle after I changed it was to replace a torn boot. I noticed there was a lot of play in the axle where it slides into the housing and figured I didn't seat it well when I did the axle change. Switched out the boot and made sure to smack the axle in all the way when I reinstalled it.

About 4-5 days ago I had my jeep maxed out going over some pretty large rocks and got pretty tippey and bouncy a few times...A little ******* her but not bad. later that day my traction control light and esb/bas light came on and have been on since.

Ive been looking into possible issues that can cause this but today I decided to get down and look at the front end. Passenger axle is slid out from the housing again and loose. I can slide it about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch back and forth.

Has anyone had an issue over maxing the front suspension to the point it pulls the axle out of its seat with the front dif? this is really really bothering me! Please help! I feel like I'm missing something stupid.....

farmboy530

Reaction score
I may have jumped the gun a little on this one as I thought it could be the answer for traction control esp/bas lights staying on. I put it on jacks and the 4wd engages and it acts like a open dif in the front, however it still seems like it has WAY too much play in it between the upper boot/cv cup and where the axle goes into the housing/differential. can anyone verify how much play the get on the passenger side axle. If I grab the large cylinder where it enters the dif housing I can move it inboard/outboard aver 1/2". it just doesn't seem right

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think it's supposed to be 100% solid where it won't move at all, but 1/2" is way too much. Although I've never tried pulling mine in/out...I've just pushed on it from the front/back side of that cylinder, never tried it from the CV end or the diff end. If you get what I mean.
Couple things.
1. Did you replace the intermediate shaft?
2. If you did, then chances are it's the bearing that's inside the axle tube. ***** to get at but it's not expensive and can be done allegedly DIY.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Besides the questions above ....
Have you replaced the CV , if so what brand
Next , did you cut out the pockets when you installed the JBA UCAs ( assuming you have them with the franky )

and yes when at 4 inches you have the possibility of pulling them out

farmboy530

Reaction score
Tommud. I do not have them with the frankinlift because (if you remember our last problem you helped me with) I wasn't expecting a full 4"up front. I did replace the cvs, not the inner shaft l, with ones from Napa. So I'm gathering at full droop the shaft pulls out a but, just far enough to unsnap but not enough to detach from the dif. Then because of the cup design of the cv it dissent put pressure on it to pop it back in. Is there any fix for this? A cv that has a longer upper shaft? Also could this cause my traction lights to stay On? What a problem I never saw coming...

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as asked above, did you cut out the pockets for the A arms? if you didn't, don't. Too much droop.

Running stock swaybar links? IE if your disconnecting them It might be too much.

Also is it a napa Reman shaft or a new one. The "new" are too short.

as for traction control light, have you stretched the wheel speed sensors leads when tearing down your CV axles? or is the clip out. Can play the lottery with a new sensor but they might be corroded in there. Just don't use a wood screw to get them out and damage the inside or your buying a new hub.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
as asked above, did you cut out the pockets for the A arms? if you didn't, don't. Too much droop.
HE DOESN'T HAVE AFTERMARKET ARMS AND DOESN'T HAVE CUT POCKETS

Running stock swaybar links? IE if your disconnecting them It might be too much.

Also is it a napa Reman shaft or a new one. The "new" are too short.

as for traction control light, have you stretched the wheel speed sensors leads when tearing down your CV axles? or is the clip out. Can play the lottery with a new sensor but they might be corroded in there. Just don't use a wood screw to get them out and damage the inside or your buying a new hub.

Main issue is the Frankenlift
Many don't realize that when installed you have more than 4 inches and settles after a good while to 3.75 or so.

farmboy530

Reaction score
I'm sorry it's been so long. I think the cv was new but I'm not 100% on that. If so would a new one that is the full length fix this? I just don't like the amount of play the upper portion of the axle has even though it is still engaged with the differential. I also noticed my steering wheel is centered at the 1 o-clock/ 2 o-clock position instead of 12oclock. It doesn't seem like with IFS this would happen and I sure don't remember it just after the lift. Could this be an alignment issue? Thanks. I've been very busy and haven't worked on this at all as it seems to be running ok for the time being, though I would love to get this all right.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry it's been so long. I think the cv was new but I'm not 100% on that. If so would a new one that is the full length fix this? I just don't like the amount of play the upper portion of the axle has even though it is still engaged with the differential. I also noticed my steering wheel is centered at the 1 o-clock/ 2 o-clock position instead of 12oclock. It doesn't seem like with IFS this would happen and I sure don't remember it just after the lift. Could this be an alignment issue? Thanks. I've been very busy and haven't worked on this at all as it seems to be running ok for the time being, though I would love to get this all right.

Yes alignment issue, lift could be settling more changing the alignment some what as well , steering wheel off they can adjust that

farmboy530

Reaction score
The front has been on for 2 years now so I don't think it's settling much more. But I was ******* it going over a couple big rocks (same time my axle slipped out) so something could have slipped. Could this poor alignment and off centered wheel cause my traction lights to be on. Maybe with the wheel of the clock spring is off?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The front has been on for 2 years now so I don't think it's settling much more. But I was ******* it going over a couple big rocks (same time my axle slipped out) so something could have slipped. Could this poor alignment and off centered wheel cause my traction lights to be on. Maybe with the wheel of the clock spring is off?

Yes it could

farmboy530

Reaction score
I do. I had just installed a rear locker and went over some rocks that were "to big". Lots of bumping, bouncing and a little dragging. All these issues popped up through that afternoon. I hope I just knocked it out of alignment!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I do. I had just installed a rear locker and went over some rocks that were "to big". Lots of bumping, bouncing and a little dragging. All these issues popped up through that afternoon. I hope I just knocked it out of alignment!

Hit something the right way and it can knock it out of alignment
Used to have to do one guys at least monthly, ( 68 Chevy Impala ) his wife liked to bounce off curbs for some reason:gr_grin::gr_grin: