05 liberty sport issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CinciKJ

Reaction score
Just purchased an 05 jeep liberty sport a few weeks ago. Overall seemed to be in good condition. It is a manual transmission. With that being said here are the issues I am now experiencing.

Most troublesome is that the transmission slips out of first unless it is held in gear. 2nd through 6th all work as they should. I generally drive with my hand on the shifter, and did not notice this during the test drive.

I have been trying to search (but for some reason my search function is restricted). I have found 1-2 posts about this. I was hoping someone could shed some more light on the issue. Obviously a couple thousand dollar repair is out of the question. Has anyone had any success as a second owner, out of warranty, getting Jeep to stand behind the lifetime powertrain warranty?

Only other issue seems to be the blower motor relay (lost 1-2), and an AC issue. I had the AC recharged due to low to know cooling. On a rare occasion the AC works as it should. Generally speaking, it is ambient temperature, or feels as though the heat is running with the AC. Anyone have an idea on where to start with fixing this?

Any help is appreciated,
Gary

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just purchased an 05 jeep liberty sport a few weeks ago. Overall seemed to be in good condition. It is a manual transmission. With that being said here are the issues I am now experiencing.

Most troublesome is that the transmission slips out of first unless it is held in gear. 2nd through 6th all work as they should. I generally drive with my hand on the shifter, and did not notice this during the test drive.

I have been trying to search (but for some reason my search function is restricted). I have found 1-2 posts about this. I was hoping someone could shed some more light on the issue. Obviously a couple thousand dollar repair is out of the question. Has anyone had any success as a second owner, out of warranty, getting Jeep to stand behind the lifetime powertrain warranty?

Only other issue seems to be the blower motor relay (lost 1-2), and an AC issue. I had the AC recharged due to low to know cooling. On a rare occasion the AC works as it should. Generally speaking, it is ambient temperature, or feels as though the heat is running with the AC. Anyone have an idea on where to start with fixing this?

Any help is appreciated,
Gary

Can't help with the transmission issue.. but others more knowledgeable should be along..

Blower resistor, easy peasy, just replace it. We've all had to do that at least once. It's behind the glovebox, not hard to do at all and a fairly cheap part.

AC issue, sounds like the blend door is not working properly. That's a not-unheard of thing. There was another thread earlier this week with the same issue, here it is, it has another link to a how-to that will help as well.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/03-kj-ac-issue-62678/

CinciKJ

Reaction score
Jason,

Blower resistor was a breeze after I got the clip to release. Seems to be many peoples biggest issue on that repair.

Transmission issue seems to be a normal thing with the manual. Unfortunately I will not have the funds currently for the repair. Since it is an intermittent problem I am not "super" pressed currently. I just hope the issue doesn't continue to get worse (at least not quickly).

Found that The AC issue was caused by a small pebble hole in the condenser. While I had the front open I inspected the radiator only to find a pin hole leak there as well. Both replaced and recharged and it "appears" all is good. Fingers crossed.

Gary

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 65 vw Baja has been popping out of 1st for all of the 10 years I've been driving it. Just hold it in like you said. Granted it's a very different animal, but maybe you'll get by for many years.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pooping out of first while wheeling would suck

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours did the the same when bought in 2012. Only reverse though.

I read its to do with people miss-shifting into reverse trying to grab 6th at highway speeds... internals get bent.

I ended up buying a used one from a wrecker w/guarantee. That was 80,000km ago. I also have the old trans to rebuild if I want.