05 Brake Pedal stiff after sitting for 6 months

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So finally finished our 05 project and went to drive and the pedal is stiff and I notice the right front caliper is sticking. Got a new caliper and getting ready to replace it but still not quite sure why the pedal is soo stiff. I have confirmed that vacuum lines are all hooked up and cables attached properly. Any ideas of ways I can test to make sure it is not the booster or something else? It is a rocky mount edition and I don't think it has abs.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rubber lines can swell internally from age and close off like a clogged artery. Usually older than yours, but it's worth a look. You might have to remove them to check, or just open a bleed valve and see how well fluid passes.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If its been sitting that long I would bleed the entire brake system , that way you could tell how much flow there is, any blockages etc.
Plus more than likely needs it anyways since moisture gets in the lines/ calipers .
Start there and then work your way up to the master cylinder

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I think you guys are right and it won't take long to bleed the system. Just need to get this caliper replaced.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya good luck, I'm sure it will work out for you ok.
Finally found the image..
Why did Jeep not specify brake fluid type on the Cap?
60466[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• USfENK1.jpg
    USfENK1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 0

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So replaced caliper. Pads all the way around. Made sure all other calipers worked and then bled all the brakes and got good pressure throughout. But still the pedal is very stiff. So now I think I need to test the brake booster to see if there are issues with it. I have two vacuum lines coming off of the brake booster. One goes to the intake manifold and one goes to the other vacuum module that is I guess maybe for the cruise control?

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen brake boosters go bad? I am trying to narrow down where the issue might be. Bled all 4 corners and when cracking the bleeder we get fluid squirting out without a problem. Also was able to press the brakes and have the pistons move out and were ok to push back in with the brake tool.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen brake boosters go bad? I am trying to narrow down where the issue might be. Bled all 4 corners and when cracking the bleeder we get fluid squirting out without a problem. Also was able to press the brakes and have the pistons move out and were ok to push back in with the brake tool.

Check that vacuum is actually getting to the booster 1st,could be a bad check valve or plugged vacuum hose.

Hear any hissing sounds when hitting the brake pedal?

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did the test in the book and got nothing lol. I did pull the vacuum line and I don't feel like there is much suction. Def not as much on my 02. The hose looks newer but I think I need to pull it off the intake and see if it is possibly clogged. I have another 04 here so I was going to steal the check valve out of it to see if it made a difference.