04 - P2314 Secondary Circuit- Insufficient Ionization

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hobbes

Reaction score
My 04 Liberty has this code - P2314 Secondary Circuit- Insufficient Ionization - it also has no power at all under a load, such as going up a hill. Feels like it's misfiring.

I've replaced the coil for cylinder #5 and the plugs, but still has the same problem.

It did this about a year ago on the same cylinder along with a P305 code and replacing the coil fixed it at that time.

P2314 is the only code right now.

Any ideas on what else to look at? Maybe the injector?

hobbes

Reaction score
Yes, I swapped the coils on #1 and #5 and cleared the code. The same code came right back. I also have 2 new coils and tried both of them in #5 with the same result - P2314 came back within a few miles.

Pulled the plugs and #5 looks fine - it's clean, no carbon or oil or anything. Compared to the other plugs it looks the same.

Over this weekend I guess I going to try swapping 2 injectors and see what happens. I'll do a compression check too just to make sure, but I pretty sure that that will be ok. Unless I'm missing something, and if a compression check shows up fine, I think I'm down to possibly having a bad injector.

Anyone know what "Insufficient Ionization" actually means? I'm assuming that it means that the cylinder is not completely burning all the fuel. Is that correct and if so, how would the PCM be able to determine this from just one of the 6 cylinders?

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked up this code in the service Manual and it does not indicate bad injectors, what it does say is to check the wires from that coil back to the ASD and the PCM, it looks like an electrical problem rather than a replace parts problem. I cannot post the pinpoint tests due to the policy on the board, but a cheap place to get them would be alldata, these are all available. I usually do not like alladata for chrysler as it only provides powertrain info and not the all the others but this is here. Goodluck

hobbes

Reaction score
I looked up this code in the service Manual and it does not indicate bad injectors, what it does say is to check the wires from that coil back to the ASD and the PCM, it looks like an electrical problem rather than a replace parts problem. I cannot post the pinpoint tests due to the policy on the board, but a cheap place to get them would be alldata, these are all available. I usually do not like alladata for chrysler as it only provides powertrain info and not the all the others but this is here. Goodluck

Thank you! I had subscribed to Alldata a few years ago, but forgot about the site. Just renewed my Liberty subscription.

I did replace the Autolite plugs yesterday (even though they were new) with NGK's. I reset the code and after about 50 miles of driving, it seems to be running fine. No new codes, but I just have a hard time believing that the problem would be just due to the Autolites.

mase

Reaction score
My 2005 with 47044 miles was having the same problem P305 and P2314. Replaced the plugs with new NGK's and it runs great. My experience is that the NGK's take care of the problem and should always be done first. My 2006 did the same thing. Replace them at every 30,000 miles.

hobbes

Reaction score
It's been about 3 years and 30,000 miles on the NGK's and the problem never came back once the NGK's were put in.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All plugs are different, when you swap brands, styles etc... You tend to screw up the timing on the firing pattern resulting in a check engine light. Plugs fire differently, so the engine computer learns and times to the firing pattern. Two solutions are usually present as I have learned over the years when dealing with putting in different plugs, you either swap back to what is required for OEM since that is what the computer knows, or what some do as I did with my Focus was to unplug the battery while doing the tune up to reset the computer. Then run at standard idle for a minute, then turn on max defrost let it idle under electrical load so the computer relearns the firing pattern timing to the new plugs.