'04 Liberty (Manual ******) Hard Shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z00KA

Reaction score
I have a '04 Liberty 3.7 that just recently is refusing to go into gear. I initially thought that after 101K miles that a new transmission was in order, but after checking the web; thinking that maybe my clutch master of slave cylinder might be leaking.

First - where is the master and slave clutch cylinder located?

Second - I'm assuming that brake fluid is what it takes?

Thanks,

Joe

Z00KA

Reaction score
OK...just went out and fired it up...pushing in the clutch and attempting to shift into 1st gear reproduced the same response as of yesterday...hard to get in gear. I noticed that it would go into 2nd gear, but not reverse. Rolled forward a few feet in 2nd, then ALL the gears worked including reverse. So, should my first step be changing the transmission fluid? There are no leaks under the vehicle, so unless the fluid in the clutch master cylinder is just old and "weak", I will go with transmission fluid suggestion.

Joe

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your clutch master cylinder will most likely not leak externally, instead it will have an internal leak which will cause lack of applied pressure which will act as though you have not fully depressed the clutch pedal. Does it become harder the shift the longer you have held the clutch down? For example it you pump the clutch a few times does it shift easier? also its never a bad idea to change your transmission oil.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Could it be a problem with the gear shifter itself?
Rather than type all this out and sound like I know
what I'm blabbing about, I copied this from the Factory
service manual:

HARD SHIFTING
Hard shifting is usually caused by a low lubricant
level, improper, or contaminated lubricants. The consequence
of using non–recommended lubricants is
noise, excessive wear, internal bind, and hard shifting.
Substantial lubricant leaks can result in gear,
shift rail, synchro, and bearing damage. If a leak
goes undetected for an extended period, the first indications
of component damage are usually hard shifting
and noise.
Component damage, incorrect clutch adjustment,
or a damaged clutch pressure plate or disc are additional
probable causes of increased shift effort. Incorrect
adjustment or a worn/damaged pressure plate or
disc can cause incorrect release. If the clutch problem
is advanced, gear clash during shifts can result.
Worn or damaged synchro rings can cause gear clash
when shifting into any forward gear. In some new or
rebuilt transmissions, new synchro rings may tend to
stick slightly causing hard or noisy shifts. In most
cases, this condition will decline as the rings wear-in.
TRANSMISSION NOISE
Most manual transmissions make some noise during
normal operation. Rotating gears generate a mild
whine that is audible, but generally only at extreme
speeds.
Severe, highly audible transmission noise is generally
the initial indicator of a lubricant problem.
Insufficient, improper, or contaminated lubricant will
promote rapid wear of gears, synchros, shift rails,
forks and bearings. The overheating caused by a
lubricant problem, can also lead to gear and bearing
damage.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I'll throw in my 2 cents into this discussion.

Why the concerns over the transmission fluid? There's none on the ground is there? Have you looked at the manual transmission's clutch fluid reservoir to see how much fluid is there? I suspect that you've lost clutch fluid somewhere or more likely the clutch master cylinder is failing. Is there any resistance when you push the clutch pedal to the floor?

I don't have a manual transmission in my Liberty but I do have one in my 95YJ and it's displaying the same symptoms as your Liberty. It's difficult to shift and the clutch pedal has no resistance. Last fall I replaced my clutch master cylinder because it was leaking fluid. Now fluid is missing from the reservoir, there's no pedal resistance and it's hard/impossible to shift. I may need a new clutch slave cylinder.

So your possible problems are the clutch master or slave cylinders or even the clutch plate itself.

Z00KA

Reaction score
I don't have a shop manual for the Liberty...where is the clutch fluid reservoir located?

Thanks for all the help guys,

Joe

RenegadeK

Reaction score
I don't know much either but I thought the clutch in these were mechanical ( no master cylinder/hydrolics to them ?)

Edit: I'm probably wrong on that part, but would like to know as well, and how often do these need serviced and in what way. Mine kinda sticks when shifted, more force then I would think necessary for shifting especially when cold and no clue as to the solution, yes I changed fluid recently as well

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Z00KA

Reaction score
I did some research and found an online source for a KJ shop manual (2004 Jeep Liberty Service Repair Manual)...readmanual.com for just $5.49. It's very in-depth and yes indeed these clutches are hydraulic with a master and slave cylinders. It also mentioned that these are "maintenance free" and if they fail, the entire system must be replaced.

As soon as my weather turns "favorable", I'm going to change the transmission fluid; check it for any signs of metal shavings, and see if this takes care of my problem.

Thanks again for all the suggestions from the forum.

Joe

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some research and found an online source for a KJ shop manual (2004 Jeep Liberty Service Repair Manual)...readmanual.com for just $5.49. It's very in-depth and yes indeed these clutches are hydraulic with a master and slave cylinders. It also mentioned that these are "maintenance free" and if they fail, the entire system must be replaced.

As soon as my weather turns "favorable", I'm going to change the transmission fluid; check it for any signs of metal shavings, and see if this takes care of my problem.

Thanks again for all the suggestions from the forum.

Joe

Yes the manuals are hydraulic and yes they are a "sealed system". Master cylinder, slave cylinder and pipe all filled and bled at the factory so if something is leaking its a full replacement cos there are no bleed nipples on the slave cylinder so you can't bleed the system. Stupid idea in my opinion but hey ho. :shrug: Had a similar problem when I first got my Jeep and it turned out to be the dual mass flywheel causing the problem. Luckily it was under warranty at the time but that is the last place you want to start looking because of the expense. Start with gearbox oil change and take it from there. If you have a leak in your clutch hydraulic system you will probably notice a lot of "free padal play" before it actually starts to push the fluid through the pipe. i.e. Pedal will feel soft, as this is compressing air in the system instead of fluid. You can compress air but not fluid, thats why it feels "spongy". Good luck. Steve :smokin: