03 liberty 13mpg.help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrp79

Reaction score
just bought a 03 liberty sport 3.7 2wd.new plugs,new air filter.has 217k miles.only code is bank 2 sensor 2 high voltage but shouldnt effect anything.average mpgim getting is 13-14mpg.normal driving.oem tire size is 215-75-16 and have 235-70-16 on it now which is the same size in height but alittle wider.
it runs great,no skips,no hesitation.what could be causing me to only get 14mpg?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the O2 sensors are reading incorrectly it could be telling your computer to give it more gas messing with the air/fuel ratio. Just an idea.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just bought a 03 liberty sport 3.7 2wd.new plugs,new air filter.has 217k miles.only code is bank 2 sensor 2 high voltage but shouldnt effect anything.average mpgim getting is 13-14mpg.normal driving.oem tire size is 215-75-16 and have 235-70-16 on it now which is the same size in height but alittle wider.
it runs great,no skips,no hesitation.what could be causing me to only get 14mpg?

In bold is your issue,also the type of plugs used can effect mpg's also.

jrp79

Reaction score
In bold is your issue,also the type of plugs used can effect mpg's also.
i used ngk cooper plugs.i thought downstream o2 sensors were only there to make sure the converters were doing there job and have no effect on drivability

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Replace with NTK sensor bank2 and replace the rear axle lube would be a good idea.
My Jeep is heavy & lifted with 245-17's and all is up to speed, and I only get 15mpg on the hwy.
Get alignment/bump up a few lbs in tire pressure, empty interior load, drive easily /not spirited, all have effect on fuel mileage.
Even Dave would agree the jeep can be a "pig" on fuel! ha ha..
60247[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I did not buy it for the fuel mileage! :gr_grin:

Attachments

• TJMUb0j.jpg
    TJMUb0j.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 0

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Drive it like you stole it
driving any of mine easy they get crappy mileage
fast take offs/ 75 -80 on the highways/ the right gearing / 21-22 all day long

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Gearing does help for sure.
Spirited driving today for KJ after adding some..
60249[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Had it to the floor to blow the carbon out. I burned a 1/4 tank pretty quick!
Jeep seems to have liked it though!

Attachments

• JUo4Uzv.jpg
    JUo4Uzv.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 0

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Drive it like you stole it
driving any of mine easy they get crappy mileage
fast take offs/ 75 -80 on the highways/ the right gearing / 21-22 all day long

x2. I started "not babying it" (I don't abuse it, but letting it hit 3-4k RPM for accelerating if possible with traffic, I don't try to keep it low), and now in town I get 15MPG instead of 13. I've also stopped letting idle to warm up, just start it and go.

I tested the highway speed and I get better MPG at 75-80+ (about 21-22MPG) than like 70-75 (17 MPG), but with a speed limit of 70, a ticket would negate the gas savings...:favorites68:

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bank 2, sensor 2 issue should not affect mileage as it should just measure catalyst efficiency. I would use a scan tool to check what the Intake Air Temp and Coolant Temp sensors are reading as the computer will compensate for cold temps with extra fuel