“No buS” warning showing on odometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea what this code is. I did a google search but it says it’s the CPS but I would think it would run rough or not at all if it were a bad CPS. Is this possibly related to the no radio, fan speed, and gauges issue I’m having?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try doing a hard reset.

Disconnect both battery terminals and clamp them together(both must be clean and tight against each other) for 10mins.Hook the terminals back up after 10mins and see what happens.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the last thing you did? Install or replace anything recently ?

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I had the no bus issue when I used off brand coils who would have thought using 6 dura-crap coils would cause as many issues as it did.

I too disconnected the battery and waited. It works but for me it came back again until I spent the cash for the better brand coils.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea what this code is. I did a google search but it says it’s the CPS but I would think it would run rough or not at all if it were a bad CPS. Is this possibly related to the no radio, fan speed, and gauges issue I’m having?

What year/model do you have?

Radio and fan speed usually has nothing to do with the Bus but gauges do.

Different year models use different Busses such as PCI, CAN, SCSI or a combination of them all.

I presume this is without any code reader plugged in at the time?

Bus errors are not fun to diagnose....need to know the year/model!

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year/model do you have?

Radio and fan speed usually has nothing to do with the Bus but gauges do.

Different year models use different Busses such as PCI, CAN, SCSI or a combination of them all.

I presume this is without any code reader plugged in at the time?

Bus errors are not fun to diagnose....need to know the year/model!

It’s an ‘02 sport 4x4 3.7

I haven’t plugged it in to read the code yet. I can do that later today.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 02 too. I did what the threads here said to try like switching relays and looking for burned out fuses etc

I even changed out the wire under the battery thst looked pinched.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe ground problem on diff sensor or pigtail wires need replacement.
Here is one post I found after searching speed sensor pigtail:
Link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/speedometer-issues-sensor-pigtail-replaced-54194/
Having access to the ole star scan scanner by a shop eventually may be needed.
How is the battery voltage, done a load test on battery? Terminals clean (no corrosion) and tight?
What brand of speed sensor did you buy?

Last edited:

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe ground problem on diff sensor or pigtail wires need replacement.
Here is one post I found after searching speed sensor pigtail:
Link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/speedometer-issues-sensor-pigtail-replaced-54194/
Having access to the ole star scan scanner by a shop eventually may be needed.
How is the battery voltage, done a load test on battery? Terminals clean (no corrosion) and tight?
What brand of speed sensor did you buy?

I haven’t checked the battery. Cables are clean on outside and tight but I haven’t disconnected them yet, I’ll do that later today when I try the reset. I did replace the speed sensor pigtail wiring 3 years or so ago and rerouted it. The speed sensor is a mopar part.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes do the re-set by taping both terminal together as recommended in post 2.
The KJ can do some really strange things also when the battery connections are not clean & properly connected.
A wire brush inside terminal ends or even some sandpaper to clean em up is good for that.
Also same on battery posts make em shine (emery cloth) before re-attaching cables.
The KJ will can act up in some very strange ways if the battery is going bad.
If you have a volt meter, take a reading after Jeep sat overnight.
A good fully charged battery should be 12.6 volts or thereabouts.
If you have a non sealed battery with removable caps, a hydrometer can be used to find a bad cell / the state of charge in each cell.
60433[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Top up using demineralised water to just above plates if needed.
Having an automatic battery charger to bring it up to speed, is a good idea every once in a while too.
60435[/ATTACH]"]

A battery load test each fall is what I do as well.

Attachments

• SUm5MlC.jpg
    SUm5MlC.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 5FLOvv3.jpg
    5FLOvv3.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 1

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
“No bus” came back

I’ll try another hard reset but it happened while my daughter was driving and she lost all gauges. The battery tested good, the terminals and cable ends are clean, all fuses and relays seem ok. It took care of it for a month or so but now what?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2002 is difficult to read error codes as it uses a PCI Bus which most readers cannot handle....even the local Bosch Shop here in SA could not connect to my Bosch ECM/PCM on my 2002 Export CRD.

You can try the "key" trick to pull out codes.

Without starting the engine turn the ignition ON rapidly 4 times.
After the 4th ON action leave the ignition ON and the Odometer should show stored codes from the oldest to the latest.

Hopefully one of the codes will point out which component is holding up the Bus...could be Radio, Cluster, ABS....many other things!

Mark Hemmer

Reaction score
Yes do the re-set by taping both terminal together as recommended in post 2.
The KJ can do some really strange things also when the battery connections are not clean & properly connected.
A wire brush inside terminal ends or even some sandpaper to clean em up is good for that.
Also same on battery posts make em shine (emery cloth) before re-attaching cables.
The KJ will can act up in some very strange ways if the battery is going bad.
If you have a volt meter, take a reading after Jeep sat overnight.
A good fully charged battery should be 12.6 volts or thereabouts.
If you have a non sealed battery with removable caps, a hydrometer can be used to find a bad cell / the state of charge in each cell.
63259[/ATTACH]']

Top up using demineralised water to just above plates if needed.
Having an automatic battery charger to bring it up to speed, is a good idea every once in a while too.
63261[/ATTACH]']

A battery load test each fall is what I do as well.
I just recently had the no bus code on a 2005 liberty crd. It turns out the pci bus was partially shorted to ground. This was determined by measuring resitance to ground from the pci bus. With battery discconected, I was getting about 5 ohms after 5 days of pouring thru service manuals I was able to break the c100 connector (left kick panel) then measure the pci bus from pin 2 of the obd2 connector, still shorted to gnd. Next went out and grabbed the pci bus at the front control module (gateway). Measured the resistance to gnd and found that the short was gone. This told me that problem was on the other side of c100 hence in the cab. Eventually got to disconnecring the c201 connector (right side of steering column behind guage cluster......cam lock style connector) when I disconnected this connector the short was cleared on the pci bus when measured from obd2 connector pin 2. This means the problem was on the opposite side of the c201 connector. Unfortunately the wire harness is not easily accessable on that side of the c201 connector. Ended up running new buss wires from the good side of the connector to the 3 devices that were fed from that connection.....in the process I ended up building a schematic of the entire pci buss with connectors and splice numbers. The connectors c100, and c201 at least allow you to isolate which part of the buss the problem is occurring in.

Attachments

• SUm5MlC.jpg
    SUm5MlC.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 5FLOvv3.jpg
    5FLOvv3.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 0

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neat....good skill being used here to trace down wiring issues!
Any BUS problem is a pain to find but unless a good code reader can pinpoint a particular module holding the line up then pulling out the Multimeter and tracing the BUS lead for a short, partial short or break in the wire is the only solution!;)

Latest posts

Members online