Turbo Charging A 3.7L 05 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icetygrr

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm new to these forums but not to the world of automobiles, I am wanting to turbocharge my 05 3.7L Jeep Liberty, for the purpose of more horses and to make it sound awesome! Any idea's if the 2.8L turbo would bolt on to the 3.7L without any issues?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Hey,

I'm new to these forums but not to the world of automobiles, I am wanting to turbocharge my 05 3.7L Jeep Liberty, for the purpose of more horses and to make it sound awesome! Any idea's if the 2.8L turbo would bolt on to the 3.7L without any issues?

Contact Gale Banks and see if they have anything to offer the 3.7 Liter V6.
http://bankspower.com/

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could probably custom mount the turbo but no, its not going to just bolt up by any means.

They made a super charger for the 3.7 once but the 3.7 couldnt handle it. The piston rings are to high on the piston and couldnt take the pressure.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a major problem with the 3.7 V-6(same goes for the 4.7 V-8) when force fed,the top piston rings are located to high and the added PSI can break those piston releasing the top piston rings,bye-bye engine.Kenne-bell tried a super charger set-up at only 5psi and blew the engine and then they axed the kits for the 3.7 V-6's.You'd need to tear the engine apart and get forged pistons put in and major headwork done.Looking at about $3000(parts alone) alone to just get the engine ready to take the added HP from a turbo or supercharger.Not to mention it would be a piping nightmare to add a turbo to the 3.7 V-6 in a KJ.

The KJ is a Jeep,not a sports car,it's got plenty of power for what it is made for.You want to race get something ment to race,not a SUV.Don't add fuel to the fire by rolling your KJ in a street race,the greenies are trying to ban SUV's already and they don't need more free press supporting them.

You want a better sound add a FlowMaster 40 or super 44 muffler,JBA makes header for the 3.7 for '03+ KJ's also,add a CAI and you'll get about 20-30HP more.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
There is a major problem with the 3.7 V-6(same goes for the 4.7 V-8) when force fed,the top piston rings are located to high and the added PSI can break those piston releasing the top piston rings,bye-bye engine.Kenne-bell tried a super charger set-up at only 5psi and blew the engine and then they axed the kits for the 3.7 V-6's.You'd need to tear the engine apart and get forged pistons put in and major headwork done.Looking at about $3000(parts alone) alone to just get the engine ready to take the added HP from a turbo or supercharger.Not to mention it would be a piping nightmare to add a turbo to the 3.7 V-6 in a KJ.

The KJ is a Jeep,not a sports car,it's got plenty of power for what it is made for.You want to race get something ment to race,not a SUV.Don't add fuel to the fire by rolling your KJ in a street race,the greenies are trying to ban SUV's already and they don't need more free press supporting them.

You want a better sound add a FlowMaster 40 or super 44 muffler,JBA makes header for the 3.7 for '03+ KJ's also,add a CAI and you'll get about 20-30HP more.

Aww... Killjoy! :D

How about Nitrous! ;)

HIM_Tattoos

Reaction score

Well said.

As far a NOS goes you could probably live with a 30-40 shot sneaky pete. But as stated so well above; We're built to go up mountains not shoot down the drag strip or drift around corners.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you put 22inch rims and low profile rubber on it, you will pick up some mad HP

kidding... ive never understood trying to turn a truck into a quick vehicle, but to each his own i suppose.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you put 22inch rims and low profile rubber on it, you will pick up some mad HP

kidding... ive never understood trying to turn a truck into a quick vehicle, but to each his own i suppose.

How about a TypeR sticker - and a fart can on the tailpipe......that's gotta be 75-100 more hp easy........:D

Didn't mean to help offrovering twist the thread but the question was answered. So it is "fair game" now......:D

Dave

icetygrr

Reaction score
Personally I just wondered if it was possible, since it isn't I will just stop at that, but I do have one question considering this isn't a 4x4 and I don't really prefer to go offroading in the jeep. No 1. I have a suspension issue and it is like your riding with Teddy Roosevelt and the "ROUGH RIDER" gang lol, what type of shocks/struts should I choose because I have heard alot of things about KYB and other brands and no 2. I want to do something to make it look nice and I was considering putting chrome on the door handles and maybe upgrading the rims.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I just wondered if it was possible, since it isn't I will just stop at that, but I do have one question considering this isn't a 4x4 and I don't really prefer to go offroading in the jeep. No 1. I have a suspension issue and it is like your riding with Teddy Roosevelt and the "ROUGH RIDER" gang lol, what type of shocks/struts should I choose because I have heard alot of things about KYB and other brands and no 2. I want to do something to make it look nice and I was considering putting chrome on the door handles and maybe upgrading the rims.
OME struts and shocks and OME springs for the best ride(you'll get about 1 1/2" lift from the springs).

Oh it's a Jeep thing to ride rough,it isn't a caddy.

Latest posts

Members online